Partial cancellation

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Partial cancellation

I have a strict policy. A guest wants to shorten stay by one night and thinks she should get half of that night. It makes sense however there is no mechanism to do that. Interestingly, when I bought Airbnb travel insurance for myself and had to cancel one night it only covered full cancellation. 

I have mixed feelings about it. In Chicago one night reservations are not allowed so if she cancels and gets her half somehow, I can not rebook the night. I am sometimes stuck with a one night in between as is though. Anyway, it will be a pain in the behind to reschedule the cleaners at this point.

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 If the guest is leaving early because of a change of her circumstances, not because she is unhappy with the listing, I don't know why you would give her a partial refund. You have lost that night's booking, not half of it. Maybe explain that to her and that you are not allowed to take one night bookings. 

I guess it also depends though on the length of stay and if the charge for half a night is such a big deal, i.e. is it worth making a fuss about. I refunded guests who left a day earlier because they got a cheaper flight, but that was a 3.5 month stay, so one night was hardly significant.

If you want to refund her for half a night, just calculate what that would be and send her a payment via the resolution centre. Explain that you can't refund the Airbnb fee portion as that doesn't come to you.

Interesting though that the Airbnb insurance for guests only covers full cancellations and not partial ones.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I do not spend too much time with features (i.e. modifying a reservation) that do not oftentimes work,  but use one that does like send/request money that somewhat accomplishes the same thing.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 If the guest is leaving early because of a change of her circumstances, not because she is unhappy with the listing, I don't know why you would give her a partial refund. You have lost that night's booking, not half of it. Maybe explain that to her and that you are not allowed to take one night bookings. 

I guess it also depends though on the length of stay and if the charge for half a night is such a big deal, i.e. is it worth making a fuss about. I refunded guests who left a day earlier because they got a cheaper flight, but that was a 3.5 month stay, so one night was hardly significant.

If you want to refund her for half a night, just calculate what that would be and send her a payment via the resolution centre. Explain that you can't refund the Airbnb fee portion as that doesn't come to you.

Interesting though that the Airbnb insurance for guests only covers full cancellations and not partial ones.

@Huma0 all good points – length of stay, etc. It’s only a three night stay. If I  refund her half of my fee, I am giving  her back a few  dollars per person. Pennies to them, water bill for the month to me

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

If the amount makes a significant difference to you, plus you have the hassle of trying to reschedule the cleaners, then I guess the answer is not to give her a refund. The cancellation policy she signed up to doesn't include a proviso for a half night's refund, does it? So, why would she expect this?

This kind of request baffles me. If you go to the cinema and decide to leave half way through the movie, you don't get half your ticket price back. Or, if you buy a train ticket and decide to get off half way through the journey...

You get the gist, but I am sure you can find a polite and professional and friendly way of putting it to her.

Is it that you feel she will retaliate in some way, e.g. by leaving you a less than glowing review?

@Huma0 I have made it my policy not to “purchase” reviews. Who knows what triggers people these days

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

Absolutely. There is no way of knowing what triggers people. Sometimes, the more you bend over backwards for someone, the more likely it is that they will be less than appreciative because, the ones who ask or expect you to bend over backwards, are not naturally appreciative by nature, but rather a bit entitled...

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Inna22 ,

Since it has been a while, how did it work out for you in the end? Did you shorten the stay for your guest and give them a refund?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Bhumika honestly I do not even remember. There have been many other disturbances in the force since