Hot tub

Karen2879
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hot tub

Hello everyone,

A recent guest who stayed for 4 days has indicated that they developed a rash after using our hot tub. They are now expecting a full refund. We are very diligent with our cleaning protocols between guests and there were no complaints during the stay. The water was a colour we have never seen when they left, and certainly not expected for usual use by two guests for 4 days.  Not sure if this was due to spilling drinks, leaving the cover off etc. , etc.

I have added some extra notes to our policies that guests should not use the hot tub inform us immediately if they have concerns about the cleanliness. They should also expect us to drop by to test and treat it (if needed) during their stay. Initially, we were only going to do this for stays longer than four days but maybe it should be after 2 days???

I am wondering if other hosts with hot tubs have other advice on policies, waivers etc. to promote proper care of the hot tub for guests and protect themselves from similar claims?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Karen2879  The rash story is very likely a manufactured complaint for the sole purpose of getting a full refund, i.e. free stay.

Tell them you don't know what they put in the water, but your tub has never caused a problem for anyone before and do not refund them.

If there was something wrong with the water, they would have gotten a rash almost right away, not have it "develop" after they left. They are scamming.

Denise1369
Level 2
Montour Falls, NY

I just had a guest who also showed signs of a rash...

Here is the thing we also found cocaine lines on a night stand in a bedroom this was tested and proven it was cocaine. 

I have been checking to see if cocaine can cause a rash if doing it and entering hot tub and spread to others using it... but so far no information can I find. 

We just added and cleaned the tub before they arrived. All test came back in normal range. Tested 3 times.

When I told her clean water and three test...she then said it was bedbugs...there is no signs of bedbugs but I did bomb my home as a precaution. And threw items into dryer as directed.

After I sent the cocaine pictures to guest showing the test results communications are no more.  

Does anyone know if a hot tub rash and cocaine rash look the same? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Never heard of 'cocaine rash' is that a thing ? @Denise1369 

Fairly certain the guest is scamming you.

Message the guest and say that you are happy to get pest control out if a pharmacist/doctor has confirmed she has bed bugs (ask to see their report), but if it turns out not to be the case she will be charged for their visit.