Hosts showing up during our stay.

Hosts showing up during our stay.

Help. I’m not sure how to handle this. Our hosts did not do their routine yard maintenance in between the last guests leaving at 10am and us checking in at 3pm. However, they chose to show up during our stay to do…so far 5 HOURS of mowing and weed eating. We have had this interruption of peace and quiet during our stay that we are paying $41.50 an hour to rent. To add insult to injury, they helped themselves to the bathroom facilities while we were here. I feel this is a HUGE invasion of our time and our peace. Should we be sue a refund of these hours since we did not have the place to ourselves and could not enjoy our time here with them working and making all this horrific

noise? There is no reason that this cannot be taken care of in between guests when they have a 5 hour gap between when one leaves and another checks in. 

6 Replies 6
Nick2816
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

That's a little bit inconsiderate. 

Sometimes the weather woukd mean I couldn't take care of the garden in time for new guests.

I would always check in with them if OK and when would be  convenient to take care of some gardening.

I would never go inside the property however ! 

We have had some minor maintenance done during a stay before, at another property, but never anything that took more than 30 minutes to an hour and we were always notified in advance that it would happen. This was over 5 hours of lawn maintenance and 2 hours of it was directly around the deck & patio where some of us were trying to hang out. No notice was given. They had multiple weed eaters going at the same time, which was extremely loud. They even stopped to take a break and hung out on the patio for awhile. Our total cost was $944 a night and averaged $41.50 per hour that we have the place. At this point I guess I just feel a bit cheated. 🤷‍♀️

I have my lawn people come every Friday. I have a sign by my door letting people know that on Fridays they come and on Saturdays that my hottub dude comes. I have no idea what time they come but the day of the week is noted for both. I feel like the host should've let you know but, at the same time, we don't exactly know what time they will show up. I feel so bad that you were charged such an excessive amount with no peace. I would request a refund of 10% of your total stay. I feel like that would be fair to both parties. Cheers and good luck. Andrea

Thank you for your reply. I divided up my cost for the house by the 91 hours we were allowed to be here and that comes down to $41.50 an hour. They were here for over 5 hours and we missed out on 2 nights of fire pit usage because they left us with an empty propane tank, so I asked for 6 hours of refund (5+ hours that we were inconvenienced plus rounded up for not having the fire pit access that we were promised), which boils down to just slightly over 6.5 percent. I thought it was a fair amount of compensation. However, since I asked for a partial refund, he has ghosted me ever since, so we will see what happens. Hopefully, he does the right thing. Appreciate the feedback. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tracy984 This is interesting for us. We share a large garden with our apartments and, with the English weather, we cut the lawn and do hedging when we can. I had never considered the effect on guests (except when they are sat on the patio I don't cut the lawn right next to them).

I have some sympathy for the hosts who presumably have their workers in at a set day of the week irrespective of when changeovers are but equally 5 hours does seem a huge imposition on the guests.

Sangeeta8
Level 9
New Delhi, India

Pity, the way things turned out! Ofcourse, you are absolutely right.