Guests leaving wax stains

Sarah5248
Level 2
Golden Point, Australia

Guests leaving wax stains

Hello community,

I am hoping to get some advice about what to do in the instance of guests leaving wax stains on my [ high quality ] linen, electric blanket and carpet.

They were young and really nice however this is going to take a huge amount of time to remove and may leave permanent stains.

If things are permanently stained, how do you even go about getting guests to pay for replacement of the items, and if I manage to get the stains out, does the platform allow me to charge additional cleaning fees or do I have to just approach them and request- leaving it up to whether or not they feel like it?

This isn't the first experience of guests leaving wax stains.

I think I'll now make it part of my house rules to not allow candles in the space and notify that wax stains will be charged for removal.

Thanks

Sarah

19 Replies 19

@Sarah5248 

Forgot to mention - linens are the shortest lived items in our home, and will need replacing regularly. Spots and stains may or may not come out, wear and tear are expected. Even so, we want our guests to sleep well on excellent sheets and enjoy towels and robes of quality. For me it is just the cost of doing business. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Sarah5248 

Try a sheet of brown paper placed on each side of the linen with a warm iron method, you may need to look it up in archived newspapers, it used to work a treat to remove wax.

The same trick can be used for cleaning wax off the carpet, there's another method using an ice block to from recall that helps to.

Sarah5248
Level 2
Golden Point, Australia

Hi Helen,

Thanks for that.

I’ve done this but it’s left behind a large oily stain 😞

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sarah5248, How did you move forward with this guest situation in the end?

As you mentioned in your post, did you update your house rules to not allow candles in the space?

Keep us posted!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sarah5248
Level 2
Golden Point, Australia

Hello Bhumika,

Will amend house rules to not allow candles or open flames of any kind and that additional charges will be incurred for mess that significantly increases cleaning time and damage to linen and soft furnishings.

I have decided to wait until the 14 day review period is over before lodging a case for additional cleaning and linen damage to avoid having to either give or receive negative feedback.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the feedback and advice 🙂