Guest not responding turned off all WiFi

Guest not responding turned off all WiFi

Hello, I have a guest who disconnected all WiFi which includes my Nest thermostat which I need connected to monitor proper operation of the heater. The climate reaches below freezing and I need to ensure proper temps so pipes don’t burst. 

I tried contacting through the app several times asking to turn WiFi back on and have never gotten a response. Her phone goes to VM. Airbnb messaged and called and still no response. At this point I don’t even know who is staying there or what’s going on.  My crew went over and a 17 yr old answered and really didn’t reply.  Finally the day before checkout of a three day stay the guest was home when the crew went over. The guest was rude and intimating to my crew, refused to turn on the WiFi.  I was told by Airbnb I could send police over to get them to leave. Police went over and they still refused everything.  I have to pay my crew for the extra visits and with temperatures dropping probability an hvac tech to check the system. Airbnb is not much help.  I’m pissed and totally frustrated. AND the guest ( if she is the guest) is a host also!  Rude!

3 Replies 3
Jodie191
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Hmmm it’s hard because I have found that some hosts are not giving honest reviews about their guests. I had one guest who had 2 x 5* reviews but when she stay she and her partner (not paid for) with at least 4 unregistered guests and not paid caused $10,000 AUD worth of damages! It took 20 days to repair the property. I’ve been waiting for 1 month for a refund from Airbnb.

very upsetting experience but lesson learned. Anyone else experience this?

IMG_7794.jpeg

@Linda3182. Hi Linda, I'm so sorry to hear this. We keep our wifi, alarm and external wired cameras set up behind a locked cupboard bolted to a wall so they would need to do a massive de construction to get at it. All three are connected to apps only we can access, plus the smart door. We get instant warnings when anything goes off, including power.

I assume you have it in your House Rules that the wifi is not to be touched or switched off as its essential for running utilities?Talk to a security guy about an upgrade. I know its not cheap but you are permitting strangers onto your valuable property.

And give a very factual and detailed review of the guests as well as flagging the host on Airbnb system on their own listing, based on their rudeness to you.

Hope for the best but always plan for the worst. Good luck.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Linda3182 👋

How did you get on with this guest? It would be great to hear what you did so that it can support other Hosts in the future if they're in the same situation. 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines