Bed Bug Scam

Answered!
Brian1775
Level 1
Brentwood, NH

Bed Bug Scam

I’m in a brutal situation.  

Had a guest claim there was a bed bug issue at the house.  I was horrified.  An Airbnb case manager was immediately assigned, the guest quickly refunded and relocated for the remainder of their trip.  My listing was paused and all my upcoming reservations were canceled for the next 3 weeks (over $1300 hit).  While painful I understood it.  

This was over the 4th of July so took me a couple days to find licensed bed bug exterminator to inspect the home.  I met the exterminator at the home and was there for the inspection.  No bed bugs and no sign of bed bugs.  Still sold me on a “preventative” $400 treatment.  

10 days ago I provided a receipt to Airbnb that outlined his findings of no bed bugs.  Crickets!!!  I’m out $1300 in reservations and $400 in expense to treat an issue that apparently never existed.  I did some research and found out this is becoming a common claim and way for people to get free stays.  I’ve called and messaged Airbnb and all they will tell me is it’s with a case manager and they will get back to me “immediately” yet they will not give me a timeline.  So disappointing.  I’m a super host with extremely highly cleanliness ratings and 100% response rate and Airbnb won’t get back to me.

Any recommendations?

1 Best Answer
Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I truly understand your frustration as I have been hit by bed bug problem in the past as well. Frankly speaking I would trust the guest that he/she found bed bugs in the room, however the bed bugs MUST BE BROUGHT IN BY A GUEST. The problem is that the bugs might not be brought in by the same guest who discovered them, might be one who stayed before him/her. The guest who brought it in might not be aware of that at all.

I've heard some really nasty guests who purposedly bring bed bugs to airbnb properties to cause damage to hosts, but most guests who got bite are actually the victims of the bugs. I have done some research but found no way to 100% prevent such thing to happen from the host side, but there are some precautions we can do to minimize the possibility.

1. Put bug proof mattress encasement on the mattress and inspect it frequently, say every time doing cleaning and getting bed linens changed. As long as the encasement is intact the bugs cannot find too many places to hatch. There are some bug proof water proof encasement sold on Amazon for about $10-20 each they are pretty good.

2. Do some general pest control treatment periodically. You can hire a local pest control company and pay them a few hundred dollars a year for that, or you can do it yourself and save some cost. Visit this website and learn how to do it. **

3. Bed bug treatment is very problematic and you need to do it a few times, leaving 7-9 days in between so Airbnb set up the 21 days block for you to finish the treatment and ensure clear of bugs. That's going to hit you on the income, but it's better than getting every guest bite during this time.

As for the inspection, how did the exterminator conduct the inspection? I have asked some local pest control companies and they told me that the only way to ENSURE there's  no bed bug is to conduct an inspection with a K-9 dog. Visual inspection can only find major infestation while it's almost impossible to find small amount of eggs hatched around the bed by human eyes.

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Brian1775 it sounds likely to me that the guest made an honest mistake, but at this point it's mostly moot. If your primary objective is to get relisted, I would suggest trying contacting Airbnb on FaceBook and Twitter. Many people have reported getting results this way.

Claire511
Level 2
Cary, NC

@Brian1775 would you be able to provide an update once you get a resolution (hopefully you've already had one!). I'm in a similar situation and I can find a lot of forums where other hosts have had similar problems, but none that indicate what the final outcome was. Thank you in advance!

Ashley647
Level 2
Cocoa Beach, FL

Still occurring, they just hit us with same scam. Now folks can as well buy bed bugs.

We are also being hit with what appears to be the same scam. We experienced an actual bed bug situation in Orlando 10 years ago, and these guests who are immediately threatening to sue, claiming doctor bills, car decontamination bills, etc. have done this before. We will never again rent to someone who has a newer profile and no credentials. The persons profile was only started in December, and they had no address on file. Deeply disturbed and concerned that this is going to rip apart this community. We cannot do business under constant threat from scams.

Matthew1844
Level 1
Asheville, NC

this just happened to me, and i am afraid to even talk about it...

Looks like you are the latest one to reply in this thread. Within 15 minutes of checkinn I had a guest wage 4 complaints against my place with me, I felt like it was a setup and called airbnb immediately. I just had guest dump roaches in my place which is treated every quarter and had just been treated. It cost me $250 extra outside of my contract because the roaches are no native. They didn't even cancel they stayed however requested $1500 from me and threatened me w a bad review if I didn't pay. I just had a call from airbnb and they gave them $700 of their money back with nothing I can do. There is no protection for host only guest. I am finishing up the rest of my reservations and going strictly with vrbo for all of my places. VRBO much host friendlier. I am 3 yrs of being a superhost and 99% 5 star rating on all of my places. Good luck with airbnb, these sort of things keep happening to host with no recourse. 

This happened to us. We now have an exterminator  between guests and monthly so we can charge guests if they bring bugs into the space.

Big scam. Also no support from AIRBNB on this issue. Guests can order bed bugs on line to take pictures of in your property. They get free stays and you get the shaft.