Bait and Switch Pricing at check out

Tammy634
Level 2
Spokane, WA

Bait and Switch Pricing at check out

My son booked this place, took a pic just before booking and got upcharged at booking time…Is it common practice to bait and switch on booking?   He contacted the owner and they were unwilling to make the adjustment…
Very concerned momma bear!

**[Identifiable listing  information/image removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines- Please note that is not allowed to post a listing link unless posted by a listing owner due to privacy concerns]

19 Replies 19

I did make a partial payment. It was refunded. He wasted hours of my time. I did a lot of research to find the right place to stay. I'm not going to let anyone else waste my time. When I've booked a hotel room no one ever got back to me and said the price I booked wasn't enough and offered me the same thing for more money.

@Cody when you request to stay somewhere you have to ad your credit card info so you are ready to pay the first part in case the host accepts the request. A host will get penalised harshly - will have to pay a fine + loose superhost status for a year /or loose the ability to get the superhost badge if they don’t already have and that is if the host cancels an already agreed to reservation. Also the dates would get blocked by Airbnb so no one could book the dates again - they wouldn’t be able to let you rent for the 150 dollar higher price tag. It is therefore very likely that your request just wasn’t accepted in the first place. Airbnb is very different from the ordinary hotel industry as many Airbnbs got amateur hosts and lots of hosts don’t got a lot of experience. So things like what you describe might happen now and then. Airbnb doesn’t make it very easy for new hosts. For instance when a host starts out Airbnb gives a 20% discount on the first 3 bookings on top of that 30-40% discount for guests who book longer stays without really explaining it to the new host. And they start out with a wide open calendar. Airbnb also set instant book on as default - also without really explaining to the new host what it really means. I can understand that it is incredibly annoying and why you want to just book a hotel. In my part of the world Copenhagen, Denmark most Airbnbs are amateur hosts renting out their own home - when they are on vacation themselves. They are not business owners and don’t see themselves as such.

I personally wouldn’t book an Airbnb without reaching out to the host first - if I had to instant book - it would only be with very experienced, superhost hosts as they got the experience and are more likely to have an updated calendar and updated prices. Sorry you had such an annoying experience. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would report the host to Airbnb if this is what happened as it's an outrageous way to behave . @Cody308 

however what is confusing is if the host cancelled the booking he would have been charged a cancellation fee and had the dates booked.

are you sure you didn't send a booking request or inquiry which he responded to with a special offer for a higher cost ? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tammy634   When you book and pay the full cost of the stay is shown, e.g. the nightly rate and the fees and taxes, which the fees and taxes can sometimes be up to 30% on top of the posted rate.  

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Some properties do charge absurdly high cleaning fee. Which when combined with airbnb fees, taxes, etc. can make the final price even higher than some hotels.