Airbnb sneaking in Occupancy taxes on long term stays??

Daniel9196
Level 3
Winnipeg, Canada

Airbnb sneaking in Occupancy taxes on long term stays??

Has anyone else noticed Airbnb charging an Occupancy tax on long term stays that they aren't supposed to?? I'm in Manitoba, Canada, and there aren't supposed to be ANY taxes charged on stays longer than 30 nights, yet all of my bookings over 30 nights are being charged what amounts to a half a percent tax on their stays. (see attached) Is this just Airbnb sneaking in a few extra dollars for their pockets? They lump sump all taxes charged under Occupancy tax so I can't see a breakdown. I've tried contacting Airbnb support for an answer but of course in true fashion it's like talking to a 4 year old who completely ignores the question I'm asking and gives me an answer for a question I didn't ask. You should see the conversation: They literally answered 3 times about stays 30 nights or less being charged tax. Completely ignoring that my question was about the tax being charged on stays LONGER than 30 nights. Then I was told it would be forwarded to someone who knew. And now? Crickets. How hard is it to look at a booking and explain what the tax is that is being collected? If only Airbnb had a way for us hosts to reach a support system that was helpful...

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 18-16-58 Airbnb Vacation Rentals Cabins Beach Houses Unique Homes & Experiences.png

2 Replies 2

Look on the bright side of this! With this single stay, you fulfilled requirement for superhost status! Even more, as you most probably will have >100 nights for an entire year, you will even get superhost bonus. So, enjoy this and don't care about tax. 🎉🍾🥂

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Daniel9196  This may not result in any real satisfaction for you or resolve the poor programming that has led to this guest being charged taxes for a longer than 30 night stay, but try these steps:

1.  Send a letter to your local tax authority advising that the guest has been charged occupancy taxes in "violation" of rental law.  Copy the letter into the AirBnB feedback tab (I have no idea how else to communicate with AirBnB CS).

2.  Advise the guest that AirBnB has charged them taxes that should not be charged, are not paid to you (so you can't return the funds) and that they should take this up with AirBnB.