Airbnb Review Policy Change

Jenn5795
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Airbnb Review Policy Change

Hello - 

I recently had a guest attempt to extort me after a stay and state if I don’t give them money they will leave a bad review. In the past when this happened Airbnb was able to block the guest from reviewing. Now, after speaking Airbnb Customer support for 3 days they now say they changed policy and can no longer do. Can someone confirm/deny if this statement is true? Can someone from Airbnb please send new policy to me? 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jenn5795 Revenge reviews can still be removed. The difficulty is proving it is a revenge review especially if the threats are only verbal. I also suspect, but cannot prove, that Airbnb is less likely to believe a host if it happens multiple times.

Hi Mike - 

Yes Airbnb last month was able to block a guest from leaving a review due to this. Now stating policy change and now cannot block a guest from reviewing anymore. Now I don’t know how to respond to the guest at hand who is saying they will leave a bad review if I don’t give them money after the entire stay was complete (9 days) with zero complaints. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is no policy change I would call again and quote the revenge review policy @Jenn5795 

Heidy14
Level 2
California, United States

Hi!! Question when a guest leaves  a review do we get a notification from Airbnb even if we haven’t send a review yet? 

@Heidy14 Sometimes we do, other times we do not. It is irrelevant to us as we always review our guests to our timetable (ie never before we have finished cleaning the apartment and either early or late in the 14 day period depending on what we think the guest may say about us)

@Jenn5795 I suspect the support staff are confusing policy changes with their 'internal manuals for dealing with reviews' changes.

Heidy14
Level 2
California, United States

Sorry to hear this happened to you, I received yesterday email from Airbnb  with a new policy about many things…. It is super long…. Check your inbox.