Advice Needed: Guest's Visa Issues and Cancellation Policy

Chris-Kazi0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Advice Needed: Guest's Visa Issues and Cancellation Policy

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice on how to handle a situation with a guest, Terence, who booked a 90-day stay. We are now 21 days before his arrival;  Terence informed me that his B1-B2 visa was refused due to a past arrest, although he has no convictions.

He's trying to get a police certificate to clear his visa, but it takes 30 days, and his travel date is approaching. He's considering traveling on his ESTA, but there's a high chance he'll be rejected at customs. Our cancellation policy states that the first 30 days are non-refundable after a certain period.

Terence has proposed canceling the extra 60 days and trying to enter the US with his ESTA. If he's allowed in, he plans to rebook. He's also looking for someone to take over his booking for the first 30 days if he can't travel.

How should I handle this situation while being fair to both Terence and my business? Any advice on navigating this tricky scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris-Kazi0 The simplest way is to suggest the guest cancels and then you will refund him IF the property rebooks. Given that he has held the dates for XX weeks then as long as XX is a reasonable time then this is fair to all. Warn him he may not get the Airbnb fees back though as you are not in control of them.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Chris-Kazi0, it's great to see you posting in our community.

Were you able to read Mike's advice? What did you do in the end?

Please keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad