Additional guest

Sheila803
Level 3
Lancaster, CA

Additional guest

Hello fellow host,

My last 2 guest has had more guest than stated on reservations. The first on was a 5 day stay and I asked her day before Check out if she brought additional family members that decided to come at the last minute? She stated yes 2, but it looked like it was about 5 or 6 additional guest. She mentioned they were minors and she didn't count the miners. And why was I just bringing it up?  Of course, I let her know that I believe my doorbell camera was down for about a day and a 1/2 but guest usually state how many they're bringing I don't usually have to count them and that i was requesting the $200 for the 2 guest she admitted to bringing. She ignored the message and denied the request day after checkout do to last minute notice so airbnb paid.

So for my second-guest I will put it in the welcome text.The morning of to please make sure you've counted all guest three years old and older. Of course, she had about 3 additional guest and I mentioned it to her maybe day after Check-in. She said oh, your listening says 8 and I didn't know. I brought it to our attention that I said it in the Check-in text with her door code and she paid for 1 additional guest at time of booking . And she apologized and I said no problem. I didn't charge her and I gotta 5 star review.  So how do you guys handle this? Do you risk the review and continue to mention it to guess? Request your money every time or just say forget it? 

6 Replies 6

Hi @Sheila803 

Handling unauthorized additional guests can be tricky, but it's crucial to address them promptly.

Here's what has worked for me: I clearly outline occupancy limits and guest policies in my listing and welcome message. If guests exceed these limits, I politely remind them of the rules. If they acknowledge their mistake, I request payment for the additional guests through the Airbnb platform. If guests refuse to pay or deny bringing extra guests, I consider reporting the issue to Airbnb.

Ultimately, whether to risk a negative review by enforcing my policies or to let it go depends on the circumstances. Consistent communication and enforcement of rules can help prevent similar incidents in the future.

Thanks!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Spencer240, welcome to our community 😊

Hello @Sheila803, There are great suggestions from our Hosts in this thread ✌️. If you find any of their answers particularly useful, please don't hesitate to mark it as the best answer. You can do this by clicking the button below the comment as shown in the following image:

Paula_0-1715896782867.png

This will help future Hosts with similar questions easily find this conversation.

All the best.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Sheila803

i have been having this problem consistently with additional guests.

once the stay was for 21 days and listed as 2 guests which is at base rate. I met them for their check-in due to her request, only mother and 1 daughter (teenager) present. However, there were 3 additional older teenagers and on weekends father joined the family.

it just so happened the older male teen was walking up to the home when my husband asked who he was because we hadn’t met him. He explained he was renting the Airbnb with his family so my husband allowed him to proceed to the home. Later, the mother contacted me that she was truly embarrassed and had not seen the extra costs for additional guests and offered to pay. I declined her offer because she was referred to me by a neighbor & friend who was helping his relatives find a place to stay while they try to re-locate their family. 
However, this is continuing to happen. Perhaps the suggestion of being VERY clear at welcome message (even though I try to welcome them and their stated number of guests) or just simply raise my baseline price. 
I would also like feedback.

Just a thought  set your price for the   maximum  number   of guests  but very prominently offer  a discount  you will  do  manually if they  state  less  guests   I   am  priced for 5 guests but if  less  than  five  I  will  minus  $50  per  night per  less guests.    My prices are set for  two  people.   Majority  of my  guests  are  one person     because contract   employees but they    might   be with   me  a few  month so   a  girlfriend or  wife  might  stay  a week.

I  for my listings do  not announce  the discount.   If asked  if I   will  give  a discount  it  depends  on   the situation,  from  the other  side   my contract workers   who  want their wife to  visit   since  no  cost  is  hanging over their   head   I have   not had any  sneaking issues  and  the  guest  is  grateful no   additional    charge  so   we are   both   happy.   Tonight  one of my  regulars who  comes  with  his  wife just usually a weekend for  a  motorcycle race asked   for  this weekend  just him   this  time  I  am full  all   3  guest rooms  booked  but  what  I  call  my  temporary  space   which   has   bunk   beds for  my  grandchildren    I   said was  open.   Since only him   and   bunkbeds  I   discounted  his  price  $5,00 for  the  night  he   booked in   3   maybe  less  minutes  haha.

At  least  for me,  in  my prrivateee roooms  II  hhavve a max of 2 peoplr..

Good to know, I’m not the only one going through this and it’s weird because both guest had five people on the reservation and paid for the one extra person both times so they knew  there’s an extra fee.  But I see people do what they wanna do just so thankful that they’re keeping the house neat and tidy.

I did update my house rules and I’m sending it in the welcome email and everywhere on Airbnb I can write. 🤣