I can't actually believe this

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

I can't actually believe this

@Lizzie.....I cannot actually believe that Airbnb would totally alienate a huge section of their hosting community!

This is an excerpt I just came across from another post purportedly from a member of Airbnb staff!

Customer Support:  "I have reached out to my colleague who is working with this system change to get more information. It sounds like we are working to phase out this method of notification, which is why this change has been coming about. For now, it sounds like it should be able to be switched back on through the app on your phone. You can do this by going to Settings > Notifications and turning on the Text Message Notifications. You may need to switch it off and then back on again".....

Tell me their kidding!!

My situation requires me to transact business from my PC, but I depend on sms contact in order to do that!

What if we don't use the apps and depend on that sms for first guest contact?

What happens when we haven't ready access to the internet?

How could they, for a moment, consider doing something like this!

How do other hosts feel about this....Cheers.....Rob

53 Replies 53

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite incredible @Robin4, it's the 2nd time I heard this answer from CS and the 1st I didn't believe it. I use to travel frequently out of my country and don't have foreign data access. I just use to found some WIFI hotspot when I get a SMS notification to reply to any request. If there is no more SMS notification it will hightly impact my response rate. And the app is so **bleep**ty with so many bugs everytime. I think we will have to get up a petition against. @Lizzie please help!

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I saw the original post a couple of hours ago and have been trying to re-find it to post a comment. It is astonishing to me that ABB would simple remove a core function like text notification of inequiries, bookings etc. I travel a lot and use the mobile App consistently, respond to text is faster and easier particularly when internet signal is low.

I know when I post this news in our existing Group hosts will be in disbelief !

What on earth are ABB thinking .....

@Anonymous  I love learning new slang.  Merdique!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous....Yes Oli, I am seriously merdique......see that doesn't trigger the ** button!!!   cheers....Rob

Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

I think I am the original host who wrote about this. Just this morning I receive a follow up to my response that included this from Airbnb:

Customer Service-I understand that the previous agent has already discussed with you the phasing out of this system, what I recommend, to build up a good habit, is to long into your account daily, just to check on your account.
I am sure you will continue to have excellent response rates and reviews. Keep the great work up!

------------

This boggles the mind on so many levels. 

Bridget

They are crazy. Is it so difficult to understand that Internet is not available everywhere? And less on phone so how will people do? Another evidence that airbnb is far far away from hosts needs.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bridget0   Hi there Bridget, You are indeed the author of the post I took that from! I read it and my mouth dropped! Of all the stupid cost cutting measures that could be adopted (despite what a few might say) this one takes the cake!

The point they are missing, txt is a reliable 'ALERT' where internet contact is minimal. Sure you can't go into lots of detail, and you invariably won't get all the message, but, it is a notification that you have an event that needs responding too....Why on earth would you 'reach out to colleagues to phase it out'!! It's a bit like saying...Many of our customers now buy online so why don't we just 'board up' the shop front!!!!

It just does not make sense.....Bridget, thank you so much for posting that article....although you have me worried, you have done the right thing...good on you!...Cheers....Rob

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I'm glad they're phasing it out. It doesn't work correctly, and often guests only get part of the message I send via the web site.

You can just use e-mail, and be assured that the entire message goes through. E-mail works everywhere. SMS is often not reliable when roaming, especially abroad. The push notification on the app seems to have improved, and at least delivers the entire message.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ed-and-Hugh0 You completely miss the point!!! Possibly you are hovering over your keyboard awaiting that Airbnb notification.....We all are waiting for that notification @Ed-and-Hugh0 but a vast number of us do not have that luxury! We Travel considerable distances.....The outback between Adelaide and Sydney in Australia is about as different from Miami as you could possibly get!!!!! You can drive for 100 miles and not see so much as a tree. Many of us for one reason or another are not in reach of our computer and the internet...just like that!!!

I certainly didn't expect that everyone would echo my thoughts but...for the life of me, I didn't for a second think someone would actually say....'What a good idea'  sshheee.....Rob

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Ed-and-Hugh0 Robin, I agree with you. I'm in the UK but often travelling around and I am not tied to my desk or carrying a laptop around town. Instead I always have my phone with me and can be sure to get text's even if signal is on a low bar - unlike email delivery necessitating being in a wifi zone.

I think it is ABB madness. If there are issues with the App - sort them out. They are a 28 billion dollar company and the business they set up relies upon technology and fast communication. To inform @Bridget0 - and likewise rest of hosts to get into the 'good habit' of logging in everyday, is patronising and ignores the lifestyle of hosts and their convenient mode of interfacing with ABB and guests.

Do guests use an App to book or just the web site?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maxine0 Hi there Maxine....As much as I love what I am doing and the opportunities that Airbnb have given me through the hosting program a trend is creeping into the organisation which, in my limited time hosting, is starting to worry me.

As other hosts have pointed out Airbnb is all the time trying to impress upon us that we must try 'harder' .....'4 stars means, room for improvement'..... Whilst on Airbnb's side their support for their hosts is deteriorating. More and more we are hearing of contactability problems, requests for help that have gone un-answered! These posts are becoming increasingly common.

As I have said before, I don't give a **bleep** what is suggested, I will continue to host to a standard, my standard! But I at least expect that Airbnb will provide every avenue possible for me to do just that....host to a standard, and by dumping significant ways of allowing contact with my potential guests, I feel really badly let down!!

Airbnb, I know you want growth but, don't forget where your business has come from!

There is an old expression......"Beware of the toes you tread on, on the way up! They may very well be connected to the backside you have to kiss on the way down"!!!

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Robin4

(This is not directly related to current post topic)

I totally feel you. Airbnb is pushing hosts to meet their standards, and they are using 'hosts wanted to improve'.

When I asked Airbnb about this 'To improve' section on the dashboard, they said a lot of hosts really wanted to know what they can do better, make the guests happier, make their listing better, what to improve, etc. 

Maybe so.

But apparently, what they are saying is - anything less than 5 stars is something to improve! And every host should be aware of this.

This 'to improve' section is right there on my dashboard - like I should be reminded constantly.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maxine0 @Kelly3  Hey Girls...Maybe we are all getting a bit paranoid about what Airbnb is expecting. 'Expletive' the star ratings!!!

Maxine, your apartment is wonderful, and your reviews are simply amazing......'Maxine is awesome'.....'We had the lovliest most relaxing time in Maxines beautiful apartment' .....'Maxine was more than just a fantastic host'!!!

Maxine, this is simply gold, you can't buy revews like yours! But I do think your personal style has a lot to do with it, and it comes across in your reviews.....they praise your warmth as much as your apartment.....That's 'hosting'!

You, on the other hand Kelly, have a number of listings which means you lack a lot of that personal contact that Maxine offers, but you still have great reviews and 'freeking' masses of them. It is so much harder for you because your guest (in a lot of instances) does not have a person in front of them to relate to. Although you go out of your way to attend to their wishes, you have to work ever so much harder to get those satisfactory responses.....but you obviously do...and you get them.

From what I have seen on your pages, you girls, in your own ways, epitomise the strengths that Airbnb hosts have...Kelly with your efficiency and Maxine with your style!

Don't let Airbnb tell you how to do it better...neither of you need that, just keep doing what you are doing. You are a credit to the community....and forget about those stars!.......Cheers.....Rob

Kelly3
Level 10
Seoul, South Korea

@Robin4

Most of the guests who book entire home listings don't look for personal connections -  actually they dislike when I try to engage with them - they do love when I share things to do, insights of the city, etc, so they can enjoy their time better with their friends in my city. Of course I try to meet guests who I personally want to meet, also who wants to connect with me, and  some became close friends.

I acutally am hosting other private room listings in my home, it is just under my husband's account.  Private room guests are really different from entire home guests. 

I haven't had any 'negative' private room guests, even just 'so-so' guests are extremely rare. Chance of having a negative/so-so guests are like 20 times likely for entire home guests.

In the end, I am opening a short term rental building end of this year - hope this mass hosting experience helps.