payment problem

Cindy21
Level 2
Oxshott, United Kingdom

payment problem

HELP!!!! This is my first time using airbnb.

The guest checked in on the 12th. 

During the stay, which was to extend until the 22nd, they asked to extend further by 1 night.

Then they said the price was too high.

So I reset my price down from 179 to 99 just to make it happen.

- Airbnb asked me to confirm the price, I said ok

- Guest stayed, on checkout they said they hadn't been asked to pay! So I looked, and for some reason, it didn't show that they paid

So I went onto airbnb and re-confirmed the stay that was for some reason canceled and rebooked for the entire term.

- Now I get an email saying that they couldn't collect payment and it is not airbnb's problem??????? I swear I will never use airbnb again

if they stiffed me and don't take responsibility!!!!

- Also, by changing my price, did it alter the prices for the entire trip because I had several nights listed at 125+ and I did not mean to change the price for those!

Hi Cindy,
The attempt to charge your guest, Anna, for the amount due for reservation K5HTJQ from 12 March, 2016 - 23 March, 2016 was unsuccessful. The reservation is still active at this time, and we've sent Anna an email alert with a direct way to pay the balance.
If your guest successfully submits payment, we'll send you a confirmation email right away. If you have questions about the payment problem, you can reach out to your guest.
If your guest doesn't successfully submit payment or if they cancel the reservation before making the payment, Airbnb isn't liable for issuing your host payout. If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penalty at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel, please send us a note.
We appreciate your understanding.
Regards,
The Airbnb Team
9 Replies 9
John-and-Sharon0
Level 2
Al Janabiyah, Bahrain

sorry to hear of your troubles. Personally, if we have a guest request an extra night, and as we don't accept same-day bookings, we always ask them to make a new booking before midnight. We would not be flexibile with price. In fact, because they are inconveniencing you by extending, asking for a reduction is super-cheeky. I think you should have stuck to your guns and kept the rate. 

I wouldn't give up on Airbnb just yet. You're much more likely to make up the difference very soon if you keep your policies clear and inflexible regarding pricing as well as other rules that you would be upset about if they were not upheld.

I think you missed the whole point. The email from Airbnb stated she wouldn't get paid at all.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

AirBnB's reply sounds like they didn't even read your original post. At least, they didn't notice that you said "during the stay" and that the guest has already come and gone. They wrote:

"If you prefer to cancel the reservation, you can cancel without penalty at any time before the trip begins. If the reservation has started and you'd like to cancel..."

Ashley54
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

I got an "instant book" today followed by the same "we couldn't collect payment" message. I'm perplexed. Why is it the hosts responsibility to cancel booking if the person didn't even pay? That seems really unreasonable to me. The guest SHOULD NOT be able to book until the payment is secured by Airbnb. I don't manage the payments. That's what I'm paying airbnb fees for, is it not? This policy should be changed immediately. I will decline every single reservation where this happens. I am not assuming any responsibility for this. I hope someone at airbnb read this post and fixes the problem. Really ridiculous.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ashley54

Always a good idea to start your own thread, rather than posting in the middle of someone else's as it causes confusion.

BnB doesn't monitor this forum. You can contact them directly (details in the first post in Community Help).

We often have guests wanting to extend a stay during their stay--a good problem to have.  Because we usually discount "gap" days or "Black holes" they often get a discount.

The simplest way to do this is to open resolution center, and charge for late checkout/add on day.

Next to the guest, click "report a problem" ask for money for additional services, and then send the request for the agreed amount and adding time to their stay. You'll see when the guest "accepts" and pays the fee.

You'll need to block the calendar when they pay, but it works for everything from late checkout to adding a deeply discounted day at the end of the stay.

I got the exact same email, Cindy. Word for word. The 

people checked in....the next day the payout was deposited in my account. They stayed 19 days, checked out and a week later I got this email. Isn't Airbnb policy to pay for your stay when you make the reservation? They made their reservation the first of October for the middle of November. And I wasn't notified until December, a week after they checked out. How can this be?  It just doesn't make any sense! I called customer "service" what a joke that is. They have a bunch of young kids answering the phone who can't answer any questions. So I said to the customer service guy, "so what's going to happen? I've a.ready been paid? He said, oh, I don't think they can do that. They'll probably just take it out of future earnings".  But they stayed 19 days and according to Airbnb rules they would have had to pay up front. He says, oh, I wouldn't worry about it.  Now what?

I am absolutely apalled by air bn b . I have guests staying in my house for 2 months . Jan 24th - March 24th When I queried why the full payment for the two months was not made at the time of the booking the response I received was that it would be paid once on Jan 24th and one on February 24th . February 24th came and went and there was no payment , when I called and spent 1 hourr waiting on the phone I was told by someone who kept saying he had no power except to escalate the ticket that my there was no payout method attributed to the account????????? I am sorry just don't understand . You have already paid me a number of times on the same account.

Bascially air b nb keeps the money and makes money in short term trades. So at the moment I have had to decline a number of bookings because these poeple who have booked and paid are in my place meanwhile income I was relying on is not there.

Air bnb I think there is something very shonky and dodgy about your business model and I will be taking this further. I would be intersted to know if anyone else has had this experience?

Eileen56
Level 2
Piesse Brook, Australia

Hi I have a guest say in my place and it said payment pending they stayed the last two days then today Airbnb said its been cancelled. She is asking to stay for another night but we haven't received anything as in money. So Im hoping she is still in our place as Im going to have to go down to see them. I can't get hold of her as I don't no where to get her phone number. 

Why did Airbnb cancel the payment?