Verified requirements?

Terri26
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Verified requirements?

I require all my guests to have submitted government picture ID to Air BnB.

Until today I always thought that included  government picture ID, but seems all they need Personal info verified which is not the same.

Today I got a request and he had the Verified label but when I checked what he has submitted it didn't include government picture ID. When I told hin that he needed to submit government picture ID he claimed that since he was already verified he was unable to. 

This is what Air BnB has for him. 
Personal info
Email address
Phone number 
Connected accounts
Facebook

So how can this person be Verified without submitting government picture ID?

What's worse is now this person is unable to upload government picture ID because Air BnB says they are already verified.

4 Replies 4
Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Terri26

I doubt that you can resolve this issue on your own. There is obviously a glitch in the system somewhere. 

I would ask the guest to send you a scan of the his government issued ID. Alternatively, you can take a picture of his passport page containing personal documents on his check in. 

Some jurisdictions require that all the visitors staying overninght be registered with the police. Most hotels in Europe want a scan of your government issued ID before they check you in. So, you can adopt this policy for this one guest, too!

Danny

Expert support for your listings in Palma de Mallorca!

Nope, no 'glitch' in the system.  It's a change by Airbnb, and one that is causing me to rethink hosting.
     I had Instant Booking turned on with the requirement that guests have a positive review and a Government Issued ID.  The first time they booked someone with one review in a foreign language and a Verified Badge that showed phone #, email, and "personal info", I called and raised hell.  
     The rep on the phone said the personal info was something they had just implemented, and that while he couldn't tell me what that might include, I should trust him that it was ok.  It was the sort of info that would help them ensure the person was who they said they were.
     As a single woman, I'm thinking having Airbnb know the name of a guy's first dog or favorite movie so they can reset his password IS NOT the same as having a government-issued ID on file.
     He said he would contact the guest and ask that he submit the ID.  (Clearly the ID was NOT part of the 'personal info' or they wouldn't have had to request it.)  
     The very next day, they confirmed ANOTHER "Verified" guest without the Government-Issued ID....plus this one indicated she would be bringing her 2-year old, despite the fact that I state clearly I do not accept children.
     I called and raised holy hell.  Again they promised to request ID for the first guest and said the only thing they could do about stopping the bookings for unqualified guests was to disable the instant bookings; they could not guarantee they would not keep booking folks with a Verified Badge that included 'personal info' instead of a Government-issued ID.
     Of course, there is a prominent notice that if you disable the IB, and have a guest who has to be kicked out for disobeying the house rules, Airbnb will not stand behind you.  The only way they have your back and will let you cancel penalty-free is if you keep the IB on...of course, they won't respect the requirement to only book guests that meet the requirements you have selected.
     One week after trying to resolve the situation with the first guest, I finally sent him an email letting him know I was sorry I would be unable to host him due to the lack of ID.  He said he had sent it after the first request.  It did not show up on the profile.  They went ahead and canceled his week-long booking and sent him elsewhere.  Great way to thank a Super-Host, huh?
     I think this change is very, very, very bad.  I hope that if enough of us push back against the secret 'personal info' substitution for Government-issued ID they may rescind the decision to try to pull this quick one.

Just had another 'personal info' substituting for Verified ID situation come up.

Me to guest:

Hi, Prashanth, I see you are new to Airbnb. I would love to have you stay with me, however, I do need to have you let the company verify your government-issued identification before I approve the request. If you will please go back to your profile and finish that portion, I can approve you right away. Also, sometimes they are slow to put that online, so if you will let me know when that is done, I can call them quickly so I can get you confirmed asap. Thanks.

His Reply:

Thank you for the quick message. I did verify my profile and yes your listing would be my first experience with Airbnb. Could you please let me know if you still get a message that I'm not verified? I can take it up with Airbnb and see if they have updated. Please let me know. Looking forward to hearing from you.

My answer to him:

Hi, Prashanth, For some reason, about three weeks ago, Airbnb suddenly decided that some mystery 'personal info' would suffice to take the place of having a Government-Issued ID on file for a guest. (They won't disclose to hosts what constitutes 'personal info' but will say that it does not include Government-Issued ID.)
 As a single woman, I am not comfortable accepting guests who only have an email, a phone number, and 'personal info' on file. If you will please send in a picture of your passport or driver's license, I will be happy to confirm your stay right away. You'll likely find you'll have an easier time getting other hosts to confirm as well once that is listed as part of your verification package. Thanks. m

Are they trying to dissuade folks from submitting the Government-Issued ID?  Is this their way of circumventing having to provide this info to law enforcement when a crime is committed by a guest?

I too have this problem. We never accept guests without governement id. I recieved and email from airbnb saying that because it was an American guest that had been through a process as secure as showing id. I asked for an explanation of what that was, and they just copied and pasted their first answer! I explained we have children in our house and it's totally unacceptable not to have to show govenrment id.

Especially with airbnb cashing in on a mild anti Trump stance it really stings that only Americans seem to not have to show govermnement ID to get the magic green tick. I will recommend my middle eastern friends get a big green tick on their airbnb profile and then thay can try entering US by showing that! haha. Am so disspointed with this policy by airbnb. Feels like putting their profit before safety.