Unblocking dates after cancellation

Maria809
Level 2
Sammamish, WA

Unblocking dates after cancellation

Hi. I accidentally approved my first booking as a host (don't know how it happened, the guest asked for two days in the middle of a four day weekend and I replying we wanted to book the whole weekend but I must have pressed the wrong button and approved it, so I send a cancellation as soon as I realized my error) but now those dates are blocked, killing my whole long winter break availability.

I see now way to unblock those dates. Is there a way to do it? It would be crazy that I lose thousands of dollars on one of the highest demand weekends because I did a honest mistake I fixed within two hours (and the guest wasn't angry about it as my response clearly stated we weren't accepting the booking).

How can I get those days unblocked? The clock is ticking...

14 Replies 14
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Well, we've got a couple issues at play here.  Number one, you have Instant Book turned on for you listing, meaning reservations will be accepted without your Approval or Decline.  If you dont want that to happen, you need to turn Instant Book off.

Second, you cancelled before actually researching the PENALTIES imposed on Hosts for doing so.  One of them being that your calendar is blocked.  Though it may have been an "honest mistake," as a host it is YOUR responsibility to LEARN and UNDERSTAND how the Airbnb platform works.  It's unfortunate, but you're learning the hard way.

Thanks, we are slowly learning from our mistakes.

I sent a message to the girl who wanted our cabin, to see if she still needs it (since she sounded quite in need of those nights).

Is there any way those days can be re-open those days for her? (i mean un-cancelling her request). 

We don’t want to start the wrong way or getting bad qualifications from the first day.

Any chance we can do this? i'm trying to reach airbnb team on the phone, but no luck yet.

Thanks, and kind regards, María Villar

The only option is to have Airbnb do it on the back end - so keep holding!

Natalie-Anne0
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

I am unsure who I am writing to as I am actually trying to contact Airbnb. 

I made a listing as I have moved to a new apartment. I completely missed how the 'instant book' setting was automatically on and was forced to cancel two bookings. One booking was for one day (the day I leave) and the other was from the day after I have left. No airbnb has blocked the days in my calender and I have to pay a fee of 50 dollars. 

Is there any way that I can contact Airbnb? And is there anyway that they can unblock my days 😞 

Thank you! 

Natalie

It happened to us too. We just didn't see the instant booking detail.

it only happened to us once, though and we corrected immediately.

Try calling the phone numbers in airbnb web page. I spend quite a lot of time waiting to talk to a real person, but when I got someone to answer me, the problem was solved.

Good luck.

Hello @Natalie-Anne0

It seems the best way of getting in touch with Airbnb is by sending them a PM through Twitter. If you have Twitter you can send it to @Airbnbhelp.

Other than that; please spend some time reading up about how all of this is working. There are a lot of good answers from experienced hosts here on the Community pages as well.

Mariann 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Maria809@Natalie-Anne0   Contact Air BNB and speak with a representative to undo your mistakes as you are new and have to learn how to use this platform.  Look at the community help guide on this site for phone numbers and other ways to contact Air BNB.  If you have to sit on hold, it is best to wait.  I call super early in the morning and get right through.  Good Luck!!

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Honestly, as owner of my own real estate company, I am baffled that ABB will let people host without taking mandatory courses online with a little ten-question quiz at the end of each course.

I am equally baffled that people will open their doors and expose their safety and greatest asset without knowing how this thing works.

The Help menu is loaded with everything under the sun and is easy to read and understand.  The search bar within these forums is the best thing ABOUT these forums.

Tools available 24/7/365 and business owners aren't taking advantage of them.

Amazing!

Until you've read every last section, subsection, paragraph, subparagraph in the Help section and until you've completed every tutorial, you're not in business.  You're a hobbyist.

maybe this IS a hobby, not a business for some of us.

Then expect more crazy surprises but don't let your guests know it's a hobby or they'll run all over you. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Wendy-and-Frank0  Last August I posted a suggestion similar to yours in Host Voice.  It is now archived and did not receive sufficient interest from the hosts to send it to Air BNB.  Here is what I wrote:

I would like a simple mandatory on line training for all new hosts before their listing is activated.  The training would require reading basic hosting processes, responding to "test questions" then becoming certified to activate.  I am dismayed by the number of new host errors on the basics such as, cancellations, refunds, photos, licensing, payout, Instant Book, managing calendar, etc.  Many hosts who may have even made it to Super Host also ask basic questions when something doesn't go as planned.  I hope this idea is not seen as trying to keep new hosts out.  I think new hosts good for all of us, especially if they are savvy about Air BNB.

I think several things are happening simultaneously.  Air BNB has expanded expedentially world wide with new hosts and also with new guests.  The cozy community of hosts and guests may be threatened.  Add to that, the cities that either see short term rental as an income source or as a threat are reacting and specifying Air BNB no matter what platform is being used.  Air BNB is reacting with marketing changes for growth but suffering from poor customer service and response time due to the increase.

The development of the city Home Sharing Host Clubs is a good response to help educate and support existing hosts only if Air BNB makes it a priority to support the clubs.

New hosts make mistakes which either penalize them or the guests.  If the hosts at least had to ensure they understood the basics that would alleviate some mistakes and reduce the pressure on the Air BNB staff.  Many hosts complain that the guests do not read their house rules and I find that many hosts do not read the basic hosting information provided by Air BNB.

Thank you for your thoughts about some type of new host requirements

@Linda108,

ABB is getting paid no matter what.

New hosts are being trained for free.

By us!

Hi, I'm in the same situation as a first time host. What is the best way to contact AirBnB to unblock dates on my calendar? Thanks in advance!

Call them and explain this to them. They were really helpful with me.

Good luck

Airbnb U.S. Phone Number: +1-855-424-7262 or 1-855-4-AIRBNB. Airbnb San Francisco Phone Number: (415) 800-5959. Airbnb Website. A local phone number is also published in the Airbnb reservation confirmation email. If it is necessary to call the company, it is best to dial that local number.