I need help right away!

Annette47
Level 3
Buckley, WA

I need help right away!

Hello thank you in advance for your help.   People book my RV  in Washington state.  there is a massive wind and rain storm headed this way the worst of it arriving on Saturday. I am out in the country and the RV is surrounded by trees. I contacted my guest and told them that it is probably a really bad idea that they come because the potential for injury or even death I believe is high.   His response was" I have been in storms before I will be just fine "We are expecting massive widespread power outages so on top of the danger of him being in the RV there probably is not going to be any power.   How should I handle this situation? 

8 Replies 8
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Nothing much you can do. You have warned him and his blasé attitude has been recorded in the system. I would also add a message to him that if your property is damaged beacuse of his recklessness he will be responsible for the damages.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You can always cancel, or contact ABB and see if they will cancel.

David

Hi @Annette47

Call your insurance company and find out exactly where you stand.  I have a feeling the onus is on you to keep guests out of there with an official warning in place...  Ask airbnb if they will rehouse them due to extenuating circumstances and be sure to tell them if the insurance company has said not to host during the storm - I don't imagine they would be on board for that kind of scenario.  Hopefully airbnb will waive any penalties associated with the canellation or rehoming.  Let airbnb do all the communications with the guest because you already know they are arguementative.

Hope everything goes ok for you over the weekend.  It's probably enough of a worry without some dodo in there adding to your concerns AND who will more than likely turn around and blame you if things go pear shaped.  Lisa

@Annette47

Also bear in mind that you may have to offer a partial or full refund if they lose essential services....  It may just be worth it to pay the cancellation fee and not have the worry.  Check and see if you can get it waived and take it from there.

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Maybe the guest does not have anywhere else to go. It seems kind of counter-intuitive that AirBnB actually tries to get hosts to give free rent to people during emergencies and you are contemplating canceling on someone who has already paid rent during the potential emergency with the ironic justification that "the potential for injury or even death is high."

It seems that the guest is coming from a place of safety to a place of potential danger?  For their own good and your potential for liability you could call AirBnb and insist that they cancel the guest without penalty to you.  Alternatively, you could prepare to let the guest into your home if the weather becomes that unsafe for the RV. 

A wonderful representative from Airbnb called me this morning.   They were extremely helpful they canceled without any penalty or fees.   This guest was coming up here for a wedding he has other friends in the area.   Thank you for your responses.  

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Annette47

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that a postivie resolution was found. I hope your RV didn't get damaged in the storm!

Kirstie