Guest refund is not genuine

Sarah531
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Guest refund is not genuine

Hello everyone, 

First let me start by introducing, my name is Sarah and I've been hosting people on airbnb for a month and hosted 5 people so far. I just had the worst post checkout experience ever and i am trying to get your feedbacks and thoughts. 

After my guest checkout, i was expecting the best review ever because of an insident that i was so accomodating with. basically my guest lost my place's key in a rental car, i basically handed her a second asap with no extra charge. During her stay, i kept texting her and asking her if everything is good, and the answer was always great. 
To my surprise after her free of charge late checkout, she sends me a long message on airbnb compaining about things like I found food in the fridge, toothbrush in the bathroom, red candle stains (harmless because we did everything to remove it bleach, stain remover... but it just sticked in. this less than 1 inch)... and that she wants me to reimburse 50% of her full payment. 
I responded saying that these things should be expected because she was renting our house and not a hotel so a tooth brush isn't the end of the world :).
She didn't reply and sent a complain to airbnb that I declined, because again i don't think this is fair and her attitude that changed 180 degree after checkout shows that it is not genuine. Now the case is escalated to airbnb. 

Any thoughts guys?

14 Replies 14
Courtney11
Level 1
Charleston, SC

I've been hosting for I think 2-3 years now. I've learned those guests will come every once in a while. They come with all kinds of baggage, attitudes, personalities, pet peeves, etc. It can be disrespectful and hurtful to get such persnickety feedback, especially when you've gone above and beyond to prepare, ensure their comfort and safety, and provide tourism tips. I just had a tough review a couple weeks ago myself. Take it all in stride and keep moving forward. On the bright side, each tough review makes you better. Over time, you end up with lots of positive reviews and those unavoidable negative outliers mixed in.

I'd say don't worry about the refund for that small stuff. I've only refunded someone in extreme circumstances that impacted their travel or sleeping experience (hurricane, flooding, funeral, etc.).   

Thanks for the reply Courtney, 

That's what surprised me, we opened our home and did our best to offer a great experience and these people don't show any compassion. Airbnb is about home sharing and hosting and not a hotel business, and it should be clearly stated by the airbnb policy. 

For the refund, she created a case and escalated to airbnb. will wait and see what happens. 

Some people seem to look upon ot as a game, look how much I got back, big thumbs down and better suited to a hotel for a review.

David

That's what i thought too, they are treating airbnb like a hotel and try their best to get free stuff. Hosting and meeting good people is my number one motivation in airbnb and this kind of behaviour is making question the whole concept.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Sarah531  Hopefully all your messaging with the guest was through the Air BNB system so it is obvious that the guest opinion has little basis in reality especially given your other positive reviews.  

Should you get a negative review, respond professionally and concisely as the host response is the most important part.  Hopefully your host review will be accurate as well.

Hi Linda, 

Unfortunatly i was texting my guest because i thought it's more direct and fast than going throw airbnb. I can still post some screen shots if needed. And sure, i am not going to get into her game 🙂 i'll respond politly as usual if needed. 

@Sarah531 If there is a need to message outside the Air BNB system, you can always summarize the text or verbal conversation on the Air BNB system.  It is a good way to keep a running history in one place.

Thanks for the tip @Linda108 I will start doing with future reservations

Sounds like one of those kind of guests that uses unfair tactics to get a partial refund. In the future have all of your correspondence via the Airbnb message system.

will do, thanks @Monica4

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

HI @Sarah531

Sorry this has happened to you. Airbnb suggests outside of emergencies you should always used their messaging system for good reason. It protects both you and the guest.

Make sure you message the guest now through the messaging system and say what you have said now and point out you provide an additional key at no charge and allowed them late checkout and that the property was as described.

Regardless of whether it's your full time home (unless you live on the premise with guests) I would remove toothbrushes and keep food left in the fridge to a minimum. Having said that it is not a reason for a refund.

In your situation, I would call Airbnb now and explain the circumstances and why you are not offering a refund. Hopefully they will be reasonable and support you.

Thanks for the advice, i will try to call airbnb now. 
I will let you know what happens 🙂

I called airbnb and they have created a case for me. They said that they will get back to us shortly 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah531,

Thanks for letting us know! It will be good to hear what the outcome is

Kirstie