Guest Violated No Smoking House Rules

Michael343
Level 2
Houston, TX

Guest Violated No Smoking House Rules

I am a new host, I just started this month, my third guest was terrible. She started off fine but turned into a nightmare. First she brought a cat even though I have a no pet policy. I did state on my profile, "No pets unless asking first." This was so I could discuss it with them, but she didn't even ask. She ended up booking two more stays (extending her initial 2 days to 7). She gave me a really hard time paying, she stayed a couple nights for free then ended up paying for them 2 days later. Then she stayed 2 more days without paying again, and she ignored all my messages and calls and left my house after not paying for the last two nights. Okay, so I called Airbnb and told them I was having issues before she left. I requested payment for those two nights, have not heard back from her.

When I went home it was a mess, cat litter everywhere, spilled all over the carpet, cat food all over the floor downstairs. The WORST part was the house smelled like cigarrette smoke!!! I had one night to clean before my next guest arrived and I was worried that smell wouldnt go away. Oh, and she gave me a 4 star review with a 3 on cleanliness and value. My place is the cheapest on this side of town, and it was clean. I catered to her hand and foot, she had nothing but good things to say when she arrived and when we talked. I think she got mad when I didn't flirt back with her, that's when her tone changed with me. So I have two good reviews and one bad one, that's fine as long as the next ones are good right? Well...My other guest arrived tonight, I was speaking with her on the phone while she was getting in. The first thing she said was about the smoke smell, she complained that it smelt bad. I apologized and told her my last guest must have smoked inside, and I told her where the febreze was, and the candles. I apologized and asked if there was anything else I could do. I'm thinking of taking more candles tomorrow???

My concerns and questions. My concern is this new guest is going to leave a bad review because nobody wants that nasty smell. Then i'm going to have two bad reviews and my listing is going to suffer since it's new...

My question. Can I do anything about this? Can I charge my horrible guest a cleaning fee or a fee of some sort, if so how much? $10, $400? Or is my only option to leave her a respectful bad review and suffer through this hopefully temporary dilemma?

Very discouraging start to my Airbnb hosting experience. Please help 😞

18 Replies 18
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Were you present when she and the cat checked in? The thing to have done here was to not let her stay. The damage a cat can do in a few short minutes is bad. Scratch furniture, curtains, use anything as a toilet etc. Smell. Fur. The next guest might be allergice and it will take a LOT of cleaning to get it acceptable.

I am not going to answer your question sorry, just to say you have set your rules, up to you to enforce them. Hence, NO you can't have a cat here, you will have to go elsewhere.

Sorry you had this guest, but she should not have been let in, never mind extended her stay.

Very true, I should have been there when she checked in. No I was not present when she checked in. I am new and just want to get people in and get things going. Bad decision on my part. So there's not much I can do?

I will let other hosts answer that who are better/more experienced at claims. I know nothing about that side of things. Did you meet her at all? Do you live there? When did you spot the cat, at checkout?

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I agree with @Sandra126

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

Michael, a few things just don't make sense: you say it was your third guest, I checked and you have exactly 3 reviews from guests, the last one being Kimberly, so she had to be your third guest, right?  She says she lost her cat (??) , and she gave you a rather nice review - and you also gave her a nice review! So what do you mean with perhaps leaving her a bad review now? there is no more reviewing.

Also, you cannot or should not handle extensions of stays outside of Airbnb. she seemed to have stayed longer, you okayed it, but you are now still  looking for  payment? if it went through Airbnb, there wouldn't be a problem.

You say that she tried to flirt with you and then changed  her behavior when you didn't respond in kind. so you must have met with her during her stay. Did you not get the idea of her smoking  then?   Is that even necessary to include that in your post?
Now, your new guest is bothered by the smell...suggestimg she use febreeze isn't cutting it.  It is your responsibility to rectify the situation before she came, or at least offer her a discount under "special offers", or whatever...
I did see that as a guest, you actually got a rather negative review yourself about leaving a place very messy a  few months ago..... so what gives?

Actually, that trip was in May with your girlfriend, who then turned up as your first reviewer of your own place? looks like you are both in the same city, and she gives you high marks for  accommodating  her late check in... hahaha, that is actually funny ! 🙂

I sure hope you are not using this platform to just be silly or make stuff up, but I sure have my doubts....if I am wrong, my apologies to you!

@Annette33, apology accepted, I understand my post might seem weird, I tried to sum everything up shortly, maybe that bit didn't need to be included.

So first off, she was my third and fourth customer. I didn't know I could alter the reservation until it was too late. I asked her to rebook a new stay, she did, and then her credit card was declined, so I let her stay while that issue was taken care of which took two nights (this was all done through Airbnb). I did not do anything outside of Airbnb policy. So since she booked a second stay, I currently have the opportunity to review her for her second stay, I have not done that review yet. Then she stayed a third time after her second period was up, and didn't pay. The first review was true, because I gave it to her before any of the unfortunate events took place. I did not get the chance to meet this guest, so I didn't know that she smoked.

Thank you about mentioning the discount, I forgot about that, I think I will give them a half off discount or something they think is fair. And I will go buy products to get rid of the smell.
As for when I stayed as a guest, one of three of my stays. The host was upset that I left a single coffee mug in the sink, one towel on the ground (No dirty clothes hamper and I didn't want the next guest to use it, the next guest arrived before we left) And she had no trash can so I left a tied plastic bag hanging (she did not inform me what to do with trash).

I understand people in this forum are trying to help each other out, I think it's fantastic. I've been reading all sorts of great stuff this month, and now I'm asking for help...

@Michael343, @Annette33, I have now been in to your profile and hers, and frankly I cannot see anything further needing to be done here, I paste your review:

''XXX was very friendly from the start, she kept me updated and put my mind at ease knowing I had someone taking care of my house. After she left I went to the apartment and found it just as clean if not cleaner than when I left. I would welcome her back anytime.''

Is this the same guest we are talking about? The one with the cat and the smoking?

Clean if not cleaner.

@Sandra0 yes that is the same guest. But I left her that good review after she checked out the first time. It was a true and honest review, and I could not smell anything when I went home and cleaned the place. Then she checked back in and was the complete opposite, she was a bad guest and my house was a wreck. I still have yet to review her for her second stay.

Thanks for the help.

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Michael0

Between my husband and me, we have hosted over 10,000 heads in beds over the past 4 years. During that time, we have experienced a lot.

We had just one smoking incident (cigarette butts and a bong were left behind even though our house rules clearly said no smoking allowed. The pictures were critical in getting Airbnb to agree to have the guest cover the additional cleaning costs and the dry cleaning required to get the smell out of the linens.

The advice: Be sure to take photos and keep your receipts to submit for reimbursement.

Good luck!

@Deb29, Thankyou! Next time I will be smarter about this whole thing and document it that way I could charge them for the cleaning bill. Thank you for the recommendation and for your help, you're the first friendly reply I've recieved, I appreciate it.

@Michael0

You bet. Good luck out there.

Deb,

Thanks for your note regarding the smoking... My first month as a Host, my last guest Marcus *** totally violated the House Rules with all "sorts" of smoking...I have back to back guests ( Marcus out at Noon and Alex in at 3pm ) Cleaning service does an exceptional job and let me know that it would take a few days to be rid of the smoke smell, even after all kinds of fragrances, candles and cleaners.

Alex is complaining of smoke smell. 

I have not given Marcus a review as of yet...

jted

How can you take photos of a smell??? I have no cigarette butts anywhere in my place; however the bedroom and bathroom smell or horrible cigarette smell. Is there any way to get around this?

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

Michael, did you know that you could have had your girlfriend Citlali do a personal recommendation for you?

It would have been free and you wouldn't have had to go through the motions of her booking your place and writing a glowing review for you and then refunding her money minus the Airbnb fees. Your girlfriend's review on you was wellwritten and detailed. You should have had her write yours on her page. Yours to her wasn't as detailed and could have used some fluffing up.

To be honest, I would just leave this alone and not leave any more feedback on grieving Kimberley. She was probably smoking in grief to her other cat's death. Good luck on getting the cigarette smoke out of your place. I hear that Febreze works wonders.