Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

Answered!
Jan54
Level 1
Breda, Netherlands

Disable 'Instant Book' - can't find option anywhere.

After using AirBNB as a traveler on my last holiday I decided to join the hosts and offer my own apartment.

One problem;

After creating my listing and looking at the preview I saw quests can book my apartment without prior agreement; the so called 'Instant book' option. I check all the help pages, but every answer points me to options that are no longer there, or at least not for me.

I would still like to have some kind of control over the guest, for example when because of work the guest schedules and mine doesn't match up for exchanging the keys.

I really am *NOT* up to letting people book without a quick exchange beforehand. Is there some way to disable this instant book setting? Or maybe a way to contact the airbnb team about this?

This is really frustrating, even more so since everybody else in my town is able to host without instantbooking enabled. I was looking forward to hosting, now not so much. 😞

Not a single option to disable instant bookMy option screen without a single option to disable instant book.

Thanks for any help.

1 Best Answer

I am a new host (started 17 days ago) and had the problem with Instant Book which led me to this community to find out more.  I did find out that while I can't turn it off on my computer, I was able to turn it off on my phone app!  Yipee!  So, now I have IB turned off.  It worked.  I did have to log out of my account on my computer and then search in my area again as a traveler in order to see the lightening bolt GONE!

Give it a try.

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jan54  there are 2 ways to disable Instant Book:  

1. Go to Manage Listing  and to the right of the Calendar and More and Preview, you'll see a lightening bolt.  Click on it and it should change color from yellow to grey. 

2. Click on Calendar and More, then on the menu to the left click on Booking.  Under Who Can Book Instantly, select No One....

Hope this helps!

Samuel19
Level 3
Oxford, United Kingdom

I had the same problem and this was the reply from Airbnb staff...

Hello Samuel,

My name is Michael with the Airbnb Trip Experience Team, and I wanted to reach out to you today regarding your reservations due to Instant Booking.

When you sign up for Airbnb and activate your listing, guests will be able to book your space without needing to request approval. This feature can’t be turned off, but you have the option to require all guests to meet additional requirements before they’re able to instantly book your space. This gives you more control over who can stay in your listing.

Here are a few ways to control who gets to book instantly:

1. Set your reservation preferences
You can use reservation preferences to control when and for how long guests can book your space. You can also block days before and between reservations to give you time to prepare. Read more about how to set your reservation preferences here:https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1210/

2. Set guest requirements.
All guests will have to provide Airbnb with certain information to book. You can also decide whether you’d like all your guests to meet additional requirements. Read more about guest requirements here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1170/

3. Set House Rules.
In addition to meeting guest requirements, you can set House Rules that guests must agree to before booking. You’ll be able to cancel penalty-free if a guest breaks your House Rules. Read more about setting House Rules here:https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/472/

I hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Regards,

Michael C
www.airbnb.com/help

@Samuel19 this is a horrible new policy on Airbnb's part! All new hosts should have the option to turn off Instant Book! I went to look at your listing but it wasn't there.  Did you deactivate it?

HOLY CRAP!

@Shannon0 couldn't have said it better!  Sent email to Chip about it. This is horrible!

This is definately a subject worth discussion. We will bring it up on the new

and PRIVATE ShannonsABBStoryForum at facebook.

New members welcome to join, no censor and total privacy!

@Shannon0, you're on Facebook now!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Clare0 Yes, it is horrible and it is real. Multiple other affected hosts (all from new listings, by the way) have received similar communications from AirBnB. On the other hand, many affected hosts have *not* been contacted by AirBnB with any explanation, which I find even more horrible.

As I said elsewhere, I suspect that if AirbnB is pleased with the results of this "experiment" on new hosts, they'll eventually force IB on all hosts. I'm pretty sure that if they do, we'll drop our listing and go back to long-term rentals.

Tess5
Level 2
Maitland, Australia

agree, this is not acceptable. Also hate the new host page. Now I just go onto my calendar

Tess

Worst idea ever!! We have cats in our place and we need to be certain that guests are comfortable with them and even more important, that they agree to take care of them while we are away. We can't just accept whoever makes a reservation with so much at stake.

So far we've cancelled two bookings because of these reasons. Please change it back airbnb!

and you have to pay 100 each time?

I think you can designate a "House Rule" that the guest must agree with providing care for the cats.

However, the policy is terrible and takes out very important freedom from the host. My house is not a hotel! I am considering alternatives to airbnb because of this 😞

I agree, worst idea ever!! 

They didnt even send a message to Hosts. 

Also now you only get 3 cancelations and after that there are penalties that apply!!

what?  the feature CAN'T be turned off?   in light of the 50 pound cancellation fee, that's OUTRAGEOUS.