no show guest; guest will not respond

Courtney11
Level 1
Charleston, SC

no show guest; guest will not respond

A guest messaged two days ago saying she was interested in rescheduling for her reservation that starts right now because she's attending a funeral and can't make it. 

She hasn't returned 4 messages sent via Airbnb, 1 text, and 1 external email. I explained to her how to go about rescheduling so she could avoid losing money in cancellation process. But no response and no rescheduling! I feel terrible that she'll be charged in full given her circumstances, but don't know what to do. I've never had such a terrible time getting in touch with a guest before.   

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Courtney11  The guest will have to contact Air BNB and the decision to refund will be according to your cancellation policy and the Air BNB extenuating circumstances cancellation policy.  There is nothing for you to do and therefore there is no need to contact the guest so just let it ride.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

It is admirable that you feel bad for your guest.  My wife and I are currently entering our 14th year of offering Vacation Rental Apartments to the traveling public.  We rarely have cancellations, and in the past when we did, guests usually told us at the last minute that a relative had died. I used to feel sorry for them. My heart went out to them, and I issued a refund. but we had one guest whose grandmother died three times over a five year time period. That's when I decided that we needed to adopt a "Strict" cancellation policy.  Some might think it heartless, but I think it's a medical miracle.  We haven't had a guest cancel because of a dead relative since.  Look at all the grandmothers we're saving with a Strict Cancellation Policy. 

AirBnB....  The grandmothers of the world salute you.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My concern is they will belatedly seek a full refund citing extenuating circumstances having given you no chance to re book.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Courtney11

Don't feel too sympathetic. If your guest had extenuating circumstance they could have cancelled giving you the opportunity to relet, and upon proof of the circumstances Airbnb could have offered them a refund.

I would suggest you contact Airbnb explain that your guest hasn't arrived, told you they would be delaying the booking but haven't - meaning you have no opportunity to relet the property.