exact location revealing?

Answered!
Sergiu0
Level 1
Romania

exact location revealing?

Hello!

A potential guest asks me to reveal the exact address of the apartment i offer for hosting... can i do that?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer

My home is a single family home. Showing the location within 100 meters would show my exact location. That's the size of my yard! If you don't trust that the host knows the distance from their property to public transport, don't rent from that host.

Revealing the exact location is dangerous. Period. If you need to know the exact location, get a hotel. I'm tired of people on here making excuses for needing to know the exact location of a property that has a private owner. If you don't like Airbnb's reasons for not revealing the exact location before booking, then get a hotel.

As a property owner AND someone who has used Airbnb as a renter all over the world, I stand by my reason that revealing the exact location to people who have not booked is dangerous. I do not, as a renter, want the owner of the property giving out the exact location of the place where I am staying to someone, anyone, who hasn't booked the property. That person could come there while I'm staying there and do anything.

People who need the exact location, for any reason, should book hotels. If you  have mobility issues and can't walk very far, stay in a hotel that is equipped to handle those issues. Sounds harsh, but it is true. Do you want, as a renter, complete strangers who haven't put up any money to find this location, to know exactly where that property with unsuspecting renters who potentially have a lot of cash is? Who may be women staying alone? I don't. 

View Best Answer in original post

180 Replies 180

If you read the other posts, the discussion is surrounding guests who want the exact address of the hosts' property before booking.  That is where the post began and where AirBnB has also established policies for the protection of the hosts of protecting some information from those who are just simply "looking" around. 

Not true -  there wre at least two posts not including mine that did not want an "exact"address but wanted a little more accuracy than is currently provided - - one found his booking was 4 blocks from the arrow indicator and in my case I would also like a indication closer to what is now offered. Is AirBnb into protecting hosts or servicing guests? Without satisfied guests there will be no hosts!

Jeff, the OP said this, " have now been asked twice to reveal the exact location of my home" and that is where the conversation started.  Yes other posters AFTER have said they would like something more detailed than the broad circle AirBnB provides, and that is probably a good idea, but I don't agree that an exact address is required.  You asked what is the goals for AirBnb and it has to be a balance of servicing guests and protecting hosts. 

Agree completely. I don't think potential guests read the info supplied on the pages and if there is something extra they need to know....ask...most hoSt's are happy to answer questions even though most are already answered on the page provided 

Ivan131
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I just got ask the same question by a request, they want to know the exact street and level in which the flat is in. The area is clearly not a problem as they can see an approximate location. I believe it is a scam to target empty properties and steal your contents.

I would recommend not giving out any details on your property without ID verification and previous feedback

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When I look at the map for my location on my listing,  it shows my actual position on the street, so I am not sure why that doesn't happen with other properties.

I also tell people what is available in my area and how far I am from the Centre, airport etc

I can only think some hosts are not putting in their full address details when they set up their profiles?

With the information on my listing  a guest has allthey need to book.

I am not sure why they guest would need the actual address before booking.

Jennifer399
Level 1
Campinas, Brazil

I've just joined airbnb, and I found it strange that it didn't show the exact location. (i was searching on the map, and kinda feel disappointed that the place were the arrows were, could not be the place). But how far would the place be? 

I understand the reason why it's not a good thing to reveal the exact location. That's why I asked how far the place is from the event I'm going. Or at least a street name. Like "somewhere in the middle of the street x" or "near the corner of street x and y".

I already booked a hotel, and I wished that would be closer to the beach. If the place in airbnb is closer, I am definitly getting it. But if I can't get somehow a close location, I won't cancel the hotel and book this one.

And I would really be pissed if the host answers me something (wrong street or wrong distance), and turns out it's not what I wished for.

I would be hesitant to book without knowing at least what BUILDING or APARTMENT/CONDO complex the rental is in, and then, if there is an HOA I would also call THEM to ensure that short-term "vacation" rentals are allowed. The Home Owner's Associations in many communities prohibt such "vacation" or short-term rentals in their rules and regulations. 

If your host explains to you that their HOA is "picky" or "doesn't like Air B&B" and to say you are "visiting family" or something I would be wary, and be sure to CONTACT the HOA prior to renting. 

We frequently deal with this where I live and when the HOA finds out about them they shut them down. In fact, if you are in the middle of your rental you might be forced to leave by the HOA or security if the owner has rented to you without approval. Buyer beware! 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

First rule in landlording:

"money talks, bull**bleep** walks"

Airbnb is thinking of you, your security and piece of mind.

That's why they have their well though-out policy.

Why waste time and energy with a stranger who has not paid you anything?

This stranger is demanding of you, but has shown no good faith.

Just rely on airbnb policy and you will be fine.

If you feel you must give them an address, give them a nearby cross-street or hypothsized address.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sergiu0

Surely the problem is that we can’t trust the Bono fidaes of the person asking the question and that goes back to Airbnb vetting procedures and the lack of a Fraud department within the Airbnb organisation.

If you keep up to date with the blogs, it would appear to be “open season” for Host regarding fraud, swindles and extortion attempts and I’d like to know what Brian (CEO and HOC) is doing about.

Suggestion:
Airbnb should explain to guests that they will get the “full address” within four hours before arrival in an automated procedure, the details are already in the system to do this.

This suggestion my not work because of the how slow the Airbnb system is.

AirBnB has TOTALLY missed the mark.  Any host who is confused about the need to give a full address is lost.  People want to know the EXACT location for SECURITY and PRACTICALITY.  Many cities are spotty... good homes in bad neighborhoods, a house right next door to a noisy night club or a smelly landfill.  The list of problemss is endless.  In an age where we have great tools for transparency like Googlemaps etc if AirBnB and hosts don't give their exact location they appeart to be hiding things (So many units do NOT give contextual neighborhood or street/areal level shots) and are NOT serving their customers well and we'll. Frankly we customers will go elsewhere.  Remember, your competition, hotels, FRBO, B&B's all give this information freely to customers because they understand they are in the SERVICE industry and it's SMART business to help your customers and ensure they are safe, not hide behind a stupid corporate policy.   I'm renting a hotel as we speak for this exact reason.... 

Giniffer0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

I have had this request a number of times as well.  I advise the potential guest, "For safety reasons, Airbnb will release the address until the space is booked."  I have also gone so far as to copy the information from Airbnb's help site that answers that question

I thought that  the exact location and contact details were revealed to both me{ the host] and client when all is paid and confirmed,. I had a decline or approve request for guests which I had to decline as it was too short a notice,, I was not in my house and could not assist their request for immediate rooms that night, I replied in 30  minutes that I was not at home and could not assist

3 hours late when I got home ther were 3 men on my doorstep !! I live alone !! They said they had not received my DECLINE as their phones did not work 3 G..... How the hell did they find my rural location ... or any location. I am not easily scared but that was scary

I've experienced the bad host in Seoul. She told us that the location is near subway and near places but when we arrived, we have to take bus or taxi and it's not located near subway that much. The subway she told us is just a NEAREST subway. It's 1-2 kilometers away from our house so travelling with large size of luggages is difficult. We had to change the place after day 3. I feel liKe i dont need exact address just something i can find it on google maps, i'll be comfortable.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I think it would be a great option to allow the host to choose on their listing the map type. 600m or 100m should be up to the property host. I haven't listed my place yet but I don't think I'll have a problem telling a potential guest the name of the development and the street name, I would probably not give the exact house number. I would say that our house is on the river front side and leave it at that. There are only 5 homes on the road so I'm sure they can figure it out from google maps. 

From the point of view as a guest I totally get wanting to know as much as possible about the location. I was a travel agent for 10+ years and frequently had clients want to know how far their hotel was from variously things, especially single women traveling alone. And from my personal point of view, depending on where I'm going I need exacts. I have a horrible sense of direction and tend to panic if it looks like I will have trouble finding the place so tend to print maps and such to cover my bases.