bad gest and the loopholes from airbnb's policy

Marilyn29
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

bad gest and the loopholes from airbnb's policy

I have a terrible bad guest calls [personal information hidden]. She is dirty, lazy, selfish & very calcumative person. she used the airbnb's policy loopholes n requested to cancel the transaction instead of change the booking. so i can not write review on her profile, therefore i would like to state here and make awareness to the hosts.

-----------------------------------------

I am not happy while **** stayed in my place. She is very calculative and selfish, untidy person. She did not comply my house rules and just do on her habit and no consider to others. 

1. She cut her uncook food on the plate, no using the chopping board, then use that shape knife (I have bamboo turner she felt lazy to use) to mix the food on my non-stick fired pan and use the hard side sponge to wash my non- stick fired pan caused scratches the non-stick pan. On her last day stay, My bamboo turner was missing, either she took it or thrown away.
  2. She just put all rubbish into the general waste bin, without sorting in the recycle bin, I have instruction labeled on the door of the bins, must able to see my instruction when use the bins. But she just did not read.
  3. Every time I need to help her to clean the bench top after her used.
  4. She used lots of toilet paper, more than 260 sheets a day just only her usage. I told her that if such high consumption, she will need to get her own, she said ok, but she still did the same, and without asking me, she just get it from my personal drawer herself.
  5. I have some local travel guides on my table for my guests to read, I told her, she can read these travel guides. But she just took them without return to me even check out.
  6. She puts her dirty underwear on the top of my bath towel and forgot to take it, caused my towel was wet, after my shower I saw it, I really felt it is awful. I wash my towel immediately and get a new one. And I have put the mat for people when they step out of shower, to stop the floor wet, but every time after she showered, the whole bathroom’s floor was very wet, that may cause slip for others.
  7. on the last 2 nights, she submitted early check out via Airbnb, she wanted to check out "the same day" and the last day, she just gave me 30 mins notice of check out, (she thought this is her home, any time to move in and move out.) She messaged me that it is ok I don’t accept the change, i declined it, but then later she contacted Airbnb and asked the refund 2 days, but Airbnb after reviewed the case and only refunded the last day for her. And she requested to cancel the transaction instead of amed the date of booking. She never informed me what is her decision, when I came home, she has left my house without inform me. The indoor and outdoor' lights did not switch off. Such person I really feel uncomfortable / unsafe for her to stay. Most of things I tolerant her, did not say her, expect the toliet paper and use the bamboo turner instead of shape knife to mix my fired pan but her behavior is terrible and no house trained, therefore I will not recommend her to other hosts.
8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Marilyn29 so, at the end, the total damage of her stay is 1 bamboo turner, few rolls of toilet paper , frying pan and 1 day of booking lost?

I can understand you are upset bc of her behaviour but look at it from a bright side - she is gone and no expensive damage was done to your property. Breath, relax and forget about her 🙂

I second @Branka-and-Silvia0, best to let it go.

David

Thanks for your comfort. if this kind of guest, i rather no let her to stay in my place, as my rent is very bargain only cost AUD$16 per night, $6 costs for the utilities bills. so $10 per night in pocket, but caused me upset; my body cells have died a lots and my energy has consumpted. we are listed in airbnb want to get extra income, and guests want have cheap accomodation, but if really make unhappy is it no worth to do this. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marilyn29

While it's understandable that you wish to offer affordable accommodation, there seems to be a kind of unwritten 'rule' that most  budget guests are not the best of guests. Crazy, isn't it?!

Sometimes, when a guest's energy or presence has the tendency to 'take over' it's essential to stand in for one's self as host and let them know that things aren't working so well. If you don't, you'll become their doormat.

It's your house, your rules. But You have to enforce them.

As you say, if it is more trouble than advantage and pleasure to host for so cheap, it seems better to do yourself a favor and not break your back with super cheap accommodation for not such great guests. 

I was expecting a person should have reasonable understand n learn fm others, if they stay at other people's house, special people's house is clean and tidy. she needs to learn and behaviour herself, can not do the same as do it at her home. if i have house rules for guests to sign on the check in, but small things cannot list all, if i pick up her things and told her each mistake she made, it is going to be few times a day, she will unhappy, doesnt matter you explain to her polite, i realize human's standard is very different. n you dont want bad reiews on your profile.  eg, i have a guest he did not wash his used dishes properly, always have stains on the plates, spoon, folk, other guest felt awful to use it, then i told the guy, can i show you how to wash the dishes? as your dishes always unclean, he replied that you teach me how to clean the dishes? such small thing? n laugth....

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

However you aren't allowed to name people publicly on this forums, And her ethnic origin is irrelevant to her behaviour so why mention it?

thx for yr advice, i told the trust here, and if i did not give her name here, how other hosts will not aware of this person? be honestly, AU is a multicuture country, at the beginning, I was think the same as you to accept different countries and culture, but there are many guests stayed in my house from diff counties, and i have found indian, malaysian cleaning standard are very lower in general, but I don't mean all the people from these countries, people from japan, korea, HK, UK, gemery, generally are clean..

@Helen3

Thank you! FINALLY someone called time out on this post. Cheers Helen for stating the obvious. This is a community center and host forum - not a one sided inappropriate moan fest.

Best Wishes