Writing a Story on What Guests do That Drive Hosts Crazy and Need Feedback!

Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

Writing a Story on What Guests do That Drive Hosts Crazy and Need Feedback!

Hi everyone-

I work as a travel writer and my editor has asked that I write a piece on the top things that guests do that Airbnb hosts hate.

Yes, it's a click-bait article but it is for a major publication, so there is some potential here for it to serve as a guide to prevent some of the common things that frustrate us.

After hosting more than 300 guests, I know that NOT READING the description is on my list! 

What's on yours? Thanks in advance!!

32 Replies 32

Regarding the request for extras, I'm fairly new, but one of my first guests messaged me to ask if I had a washer and dryer available.

Unfortunately, my washer and dryer aren't in a common area of my home, so I don't offer that amenity to my guests. I told him that I didn't have washer and dryer available, but that there were a couple of laundromats within a mile or so of my home.

He didn't respond.

A day or so later I bumped my daily rate up a few bucks because it was clear to me that I was asking too little for the room I was renting. A day or so after that, I get a message from the same guy that said that they'd decided to stay at mine, but that now the price was higher, and would I change the price back to where it had been before.

I did, but I think in retrospect, and in the future, I will simply tell them that demand has increased and the price went up. I should know this by now, since I've worked in the service industry, but quite often, the people who want extras are also those people who are only willing to pay the minimum amount.

Jamie

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hi Amber,

It's probably too late to respond to this now, but I so resonate with what other people have said! The things that drive me crazy are:

1. Not reading the description: for example, I've had people book and then arrive and request two separate beds when it is clearly written on my profile that it is one QS bed. I explain clearly and in detail how to get there, where to park, how far I am from town, etc. etc. but still people ask.

2. Not advising me of time of arrival: I have this on my profile, in my automated message, and in my initial message to them. I ask them again and again to let me know on the day their expected time of arrival so I am not stuck at home ALL DAY waiting. But alas...guests seem to not realise that my home is not a hotel with 24-hour lobby staff..

3. Fear of dogs: I have written all over my profile, and posted a picture, of my dog. Despite this, the number of people who book who are afraid of dogs or whose religion prevents them from touching dogs is ridiculous and highly irritating. It means the whole time I have to be trying to separate my dog from them. Actually, I have decided that I will no longer take responsibility for people's fear of dogs if they insist on booking at my house.

4. Not sleeping between the sheets: on the bed, there is a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a duvet. My Asian guests NEVER sleep under the top sheet, meaning that I have to wash the duvet every time. To me, that is like wearing clothes with no underwear on!

5. Water wastage: I live in Australia where we have serious water shortages and water is expensive. One of my House Rules is to please limit showers to 5 minutes. However, this doesn't seem to stop people from having 20 minute showers, running water in the skin for ages while they wash their dishes, etc.

Well, that's my little rant - thanks for reading!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Amber

Hi Amber

Expecting Hotel standards & Service (some guests think one is a concierge) at youth hostel prices and don't seem to have concept of value for money accept MOOOOOOOOORE for less.

Airbnb unwritten rule:

"Go low expect cheap, inconsiderate and demanding Guest".

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII