What would my fellow hosts do RE: Alteration request.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

What would my fellow hosts do RE: Alteration request.

I've been holding a paid reservation for a guest for about 2 weeks and about 7 days ago she said she hadn't read the rules and would like to cancel as I don't allow access to my kitchen and she cant afford to eat out at every meal. I said my cancellation policy is strict and I would be happy to offer a 50% refund considering the circumstances. She declined the offer. Three days pass and now she wants to stay 1 day instead of 10 and sends me a alteration request. I decline it and she sends another that states a 2 day alteration request. I decline it. She writes that she doesn't have the budget to stay at my place. I tell her that I've been holding her reservation for x amount of time which doesn't allow others to book and that I offered her a 50% refund  but she declined it. What would you do? I suppose if she couldn't afford to stay here, which for 10 days is only $250, then perhaps she shouldn't have booked the accomadations and prevented others from booking. Although guests complain that hosts cancel its hardly ever mentioned that guests cancel and try to alter reservations in their favor while tying up a block of rooms.

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Zacharias0

Why not also say that you will refund any additional nights you manage to sell as well as a 50% refund. However the sooner she cancels the better as at least you will have some opportunity to sell some nights

Jess21
Level 10
Austin, TX

You could do as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 recommends although this guest leaves a bad taste in my mouth with the day alterations, like she's trying to trick you! A 50% refund is fair. 

She arrives tomorrow so I will give you an update. Can't believe she actually said she can't afford to even stay here because of their budget. She made it sound as if it was my problem.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Zacharias0 She is probably hoping to pull off a jackpot mate!!!!

I do admire you sticking to your guns, she may be doing as @Jess21 says and trying to 'hussle' you. And if I was in your situation I would watch her like a hawk! You know as well as I do Zacharias guests who like to argue the point turn out to be serious duds to host and more often than not will leave a bad review.

From my point of view you have been more accommodating and accepting of her than you had to be....and pal, money worries are always someones else fault....never your own!!

Cheers....Rob 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Zacharias0 it is obvious that she wants to change from 10 days to 1 day so when she cancel she would lose less money (service fee). 

@Branka-and-Silvia0@Robin4@Jess21@Gerry-And-Rashid0they ended up arriving two hours EARLIER than check in time. They showed up at my door step at 1pm although check in is at 1500 and they said they would be here at 1500-1600. They arrived via taxi and at no point during there journey to my place thought to mention that they were arriving at 1300! Luckily I was home and heard a car pull in otherwise I'm certain she would have bitched and moaned that they couldnt gain access to AirBnB. I was in the middle of cleaning the entire house and they were understanding. Whats weird is besides spending a 10 day  vacation in Vegas is that they have no funds to do anything and just come home by 6pm and watch tv all night. Im not sure how anyone can take a vacation with no money.

Zacharias,

I have become a follower of your enjoyable tales and anecdotes.

I believe you are a "real' host. You provide a reasonable service, want to get paid and really really want no nonsense.

I admire that you don't offer kitchen or laundry serivces.

As for your annoying guests, would you have done anything differently?

Specifically, you insisted on keeping 50% of their money. I would have rebated them more and freed up my calendar.

I do not want unhappy people in my house or losers with money issues. They suck

@Zacharias0

theyre broke now cuz they spent all their money on your 'expensive' room? just kidding