Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

Warning Using Other Websites For Bookings

BE WARNED!!!   For those of us who host and use other websites, such as HomeAway and VRBO for bookings, here are several instances why I really only want my guests to use Airbnb.  In fact, when I get a request from one of the others, I always try to tell them to use Airbnb but often the other websites will block out my text.  Anyhow here are several instances you should all know about:

1.  Unscheduled Reservations:  We had 4 guests just show up, out of the blue, to rent our cabin. I had no notification at all from HomeAway.  They put in a reservation as an inquiry but never finalized it.  When I called HomeAway they said it 'happens often' and that they were opening a case on this.  I have not heard one word back in days, nor do I expect to.

2. Payment:  HomeAway and VRBO typically hold the money I should be paid for my rental for days after the person has left. Airbnb deposits it, typically, before the guest ever leaves.

3.  Emails Sent Not From Me:  HomeAway and VRBO will send the guest email(s), asking for payment, in my name. As if I am the one sending the request. I don't like this at all. 

4. No Vetting of Guests:  My friend just had a guest who turned out to be 19. She told my friend she was 26. While at their guest house she invited 14 other underage kids there.  They trashed the place, uesd the towels for cleaning up vomit, wrote filthy and rude comments in their guest book, destroyed the refrigerator door, smoked and drank heavily in the house, etc.  My friend litereally had to go over and kick them out.  When they inquired on how property damage insurance works with HomeAway they told them that the guest has to admit to breaking something or they don't pay.  Who is going to do that?  Of course these websites have no vetting. Rather they told my friend it was up to them to do that. How are you going to know?? 

5. Double Bookings:  I have my calendars all synced with the other websites, and yet, HomeAway allowed a booking right on top of someone else who had booked with Airbnb weeks prior.  So I had to contact the guest myself and try to get them alternate lodging.

6. Excessive Fees:  HomeAway, Trip Advisor and VRBO charge whopping fees for the guest when booking a reservation. I have lost more than one reservation when the guest saw the final amount due, which was huge when these sites added in their hosting fees. Air beats them all charging very little.

7. Using Other Sites On Your Phone:  If I get an inquiry when I am away from home, and my phone is using an alternate tower for signal, typically the site won't let me in until it sends me a text code.  I am supposed to then log in and insert this numerical code then it will allow me to continue. When this happened recently it took so long for the code to arrive that the system 'timed out' meaning they said the code was no longer valid.  Long story short, I had to wait till I got home as it just would not let me enter the app fast enough.  I lost that reservation because of this delay.

8.  Blocked Messages:  Recently I had a guest who wanted me to call her. She was inquiring through Trip Advisor. I tried to write and tell her that I can't send her my phone number until she books as the websites won't allow that. But some word I put in the message, maybe "cell phone" or "number" blocked the entire message. They would not let me send her even that!  I lost that reservation as I had no way of telling her to use their website after trying various ways to respond!  Good grief!  Just ridiculous!

These are just things I think hosts should be made aware of when using other sites, and there are probably more I have forgotten.  If I have a guest to check in using another website, we ALWAYS tell them to use Airbnb. We tell them they paid too much, with other sites, and we always endorse Air for future reservations.  We have had no issues like those above with Air.  One more thing...try to call HomeAway, VRBO or Trip Advisor. You will be on hold for what seems like forever.  Airbnb... maybe 2 minutes! 

Your Fellow Hosts, Kim and David

46 Replies 46
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David-And-Kimberly0

Thanks for that post guys, and on the whole it sort of mirrors my experience. In fact I took my listing off of TripAdvisor within a couple of months owing to total lack of contactability issues....and you are right about the fees and payment uncertainty with Homeaway. And although I have not used them, I am lead to believe Stayz are even worse with their payments, almost all hosts excperiencing payment issues.

This site leaves a lot to be desired, but it is better than the opposition!

Cheers....Rob

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David-And-Kimberly0

I didn't try other sites other than Booking.com, but  Airbnb also sucks with damage claims , there are numerous posts about it 😞 

And it is not easy to get them on the phone either.

I don't like Booking.com because : 

1. to much canceled bookings ,
  2. payment is on the begining of the next month 
  3. very high service fee (15%)
  4. guests leaves bad reviews or doesn't leave them
  5. lack of communciation with most of the guests
  6. mandatory instant book
  7. it is not possible to write description by your own
  8. not possible to rate a guest
  9. One main gallery for all your listings is confusing
  10. ugly web site
  11. I never understood how, when and who is collecting cleaning fee and damage deposit

The only thing I like on booking.com because it is easy to get them on the phone

Yes, we have not had to apply a damage claim. Our friends have a deposit which they keep if there is any damage. This may be an option. 

I've never even heard of Bookings.com but the others we mentioned we get perhaps 25% of our bookings from.  I'd say half cancel once they see the fee, which is great on HomeAway, Trip Advisor and VRBO.  We have a 100% booking rate with Airbnb as their fees are low and reservations are easier to make with them for the customer. 

Thank you for the info on the other, Kim

You may have a deposit , but try to get it ! You have to provide bills in 72 hours , ask the guest first , then go to Airbnb . I can't get a hot tub repairman out here in 72 hours ! 

You do realize airbnb chages 15% don't you? A 3% host fee that you pay and a 12% service fee added on to the booking adds up to 15% that airbnb takes from every booking.

11. in Booking.com there is no deposit involved

unless you ask money directly from your guests wehn checking them in. 

Mylinh0
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Yikes!  I just listed on vrbo.  These issues are very concerning!  Although, a neighbor told me she's listed on vrbo for years and hasn't had issues.  She just listed on airbnb, because I told her about it.  I will say I find the vrbo platform less user-friendly than airbnb.  And there's much more of a community feel here.  I haven't had to contact customer service, because the information on the boards is so plentiful.  But I have had to contact vrbo customer service, and it's not so great.

i have 8 cabins, and vrbo is the best site for getting the most bookings and tripadviser is the 2nd best,, i would rate air bnb as the 3rd best site for reservations.  i would say vrbo 75 percent , tripadviser 20 percent and air bnb 5 percent maybe.

I am thinking about listing on vrbo and TripAdvisor  how  long have you been those two and have you had many management concerns.  Especially making sure your not double or over booked .  Any info would be appreciated.  I'm reading some scary stories on this thread 

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@David-And-Kimberly0

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

In this thread, you will find how to Contact Airbnb!

If you want to see my listings, here they are:

Diamond Home 1

Diamond Home 2

Diamond Penthouse

I have only used VRBO and am very happy with them.  I have just joined Air B&B to give it a try.  On VRBO if you pay their fee you can talk to you potential guest before booking them.  I get paid when they book since I have the strict no cancellation policy.  Once they book there is no refund.  I am able to put the percentage for the tax in to the quote so I can remit that to the proper agency.  I am concerned that on Air B&B the strict cancellation is not great.  My property is seasonal and  if a guest cancelled 1 week before I would lose a lot of money. Also I can contact VRBO by phone anytime.  I have no idea how to contact Air B&B.

Merelina0
Level 1
Halinghen, France

I think it is important to SPEAK PERSONALLY to any possible renter, and to get the money straight into our own bank account, not via any 3rd party. We have to be in charge. It is dangerous to accept bookings without this personal contact, where we can check ages and how the person sounds. I have been renting for 20 years so know a bit. 

Susan444
Level 1
Volcano, HI

So why do you use these other websites?  Surely you would stop using them after one or two such incidents?!

Good question Susan. Well we started using both some time back and now we have reservations until summer.  Yesterday we had another reservation that HomeAway or VRBO did not inform us of.  I am going to call them. I did before but it seems to do no good. And there is nothing wrong with my contact info. They just don't follow up as they should.  I have to do that.  Thank you for your suggestion. Kim