To Airbnb or not to Airbnb

AnnMarie1
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

To Airbnb or not to Airbnb

I have been on Airbnb for three years in New Orleans. It's been great, but I definitely think it is affecting my stress level. There is a lot of hatred for Airbnb among my dearest friends, and a lot of discussion in the community about how Airbnb is raising rents and ruining neighborhoods. I have had recently had a few bad reviews and two really bitter requests for refunds. To add injury to insult, I have absolutely NO LISTINGS for the second half of July and for all of August. This has never happened before, and I think it's because there are now 3600 Airbnb listings in New Orleans. I am seriously considering going back to renting to a long term tenant. Has anyone else faced this dilemna? Thoughts, encouragement (either way), ideas and feedback of any kind welcome.

8 Replies 8
John212
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

HI!  I think you have several issues going on. It can seem overwhelming, but can be seen more clearly taken one at a time.  First, if you are operating within city guidelines, proper registration, licensure,..(not sure what that is for New Orleans)..then you have Nothing to feel guilty about, or apologize for.  I am in a gentrifying neighborhood in San Francisco, so much of the same heat comes my way. I am properly licensed, operating out of my residence, single family home, and I would not rent long term. I pay my hotel taxes, Fed and state taxes, and feel no guilt that I have chosen to go the short term rental route in my own property.  I am not wealthy, and it isnt my responsibility to offer "reasonable" cost housing to the masses. It is my responsibility to create a good life for my family...and that is what I am doing. So, tell your friends to Grow Up.   Now, the next issue.....a couple of bad reviews can shake you up. Figure out why they were bad, and see if you can do something about it......a bowl of fruit,.....some throw pillows...new sheets...whatever. People respond to a simple fragrance spray just before they arrive. See what you can do to change the next ratings.   .....Next, everywhere goes throught a slump.  Check your pricing,....see if it all adds up, and maybe spruce up your pics.  You live in New Orleans...much like San Francisco....you have a billion dollars worth a free advertising to entice the world to visit you.  Cash in on that by maybe sprucing up your place...a new $40 comforter,....some TJ Max towels....I have learned to shop in the cheapest stores, and make my guests believe they are using Saks Fifth Ave linens....its all about presentation.  Oh, and by the way....San Fran has over 6000 airbnb listings, and I am booked through the end of Oct.  Choose a way to make your pics POP , and you will get more attention.  I hope this helps....I know I am a bit long winded...lol.  Peace, and good luck. I think you should stick with it.  John

great reply John...  Very encouraging....

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John212Great tips thanks especially the cheaper stores for towels and pillows the fruit bowl or juice is wrong here in London guests ignore both which get thrown even have had cereal snobs!!!!!!!

Thank you, John, for this positive and encouraging reply. You are right. I need to get with it. I also need to check if I am even appearing in the search because I've been reading on other forums that some listings are disappearing through no fault of the host. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. You have given me a lot to think about! Ann Marie

Suzanne50
Level 2
Rotorua, New Zealand

Yes a great reply John 🙂

Very supportive

Brenda27
Level 2
Mequon, WI

My guess is that more and more people become hosts with Airbnb two things are happening:  guests expect perfection, and guests expect low prices.

The Airbnb debate has been going on globally. And I am pretty sure, it will go on for a while, too. 

I am a private investor who owns several coveted downtown properties. I have worked and saved all my life to get here, and just like every other investor, I would like to get the best return on my investment. At the moment, Airbnb is the way to do it. Who can blame me for trying to do do what everyone else will be doing to: get the most of himself within the law. Am I blaming my former employer for not paying me more than they did? And if I did so, who would care? 

Just like with any business, the law of diminishing returns apply. Airbnb is making it possible to the millions of people to stay at very reasonable rates. The more hosts out there in your town, the more competition, the lower Airbnb rents, the higher cost, and the much higher expectations of the guests. Much as I love Airbnb, we have reached a level of saturation where I keep only two of my properties (also used as the guest suites for my family and friends) as Airbnb listings increasingly so for practical and less so for economical reasons. 

The good news for the hosts is that the Airbnb phenomenon has taken out the surplus from the rental market offer, making it lucrative to rent long-term again. Hence, I am free to decide where I want to go to. In the long run, a healthy mix of long-term rentals with some Airbnb, too, may be the thing to do... 

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brenda27 you are right but they treat stars as if they are in the Hilton

we have to compete on price but what to do when guests expect their food from expensive Wholefoods instead of local markets truly my guests won't touch. The normal Kellogs style cereals and juices .