Tips/Advice on becoming a better host!

Christina76
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Tips/Advice on becoming a better host!

Hello everyone!

I manage a property out of state in a quiet neighborhood right outside of town. I've been a host for about 1.5 now and I truly enjoy making guests happy.

I always strive to do better as a host since I believe there are always things you can tweak or change whether it's your communication with guests, flexibility, etc. Since Airbnb has changed their review system a bit, it seems like more guests are giving less than 5 stars since they now have more options for feedback, suggestions, etc.

I was wondering if I could create a discussion for open suggestions on what YOU do as a host to make your guests happy.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback!

Thanks,

Christina

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Personally, I haven't done anything differently than I ever have.  I check in with guests during their stay to make sure they have everything they need and encourage them to let me know if I can do anything to make their stay better.  If it happens to come up, I also mention how the review process works and how hosts are somewhat penalized for less than 5 star reviews.  Seems to be working so far.

Hi Cynthia/Chris!

Thank you for your feedback. I was originally thinking leaving a note about Airbnbs's rating system but can't think of a good way of putting it. Mind sharing some tips on how you contruct it to your guests?

Thanks!

Christina

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This is a tricky one Cristina and you might invoke the Delhi principle. Delhi during the Raj had a problem with snakes so paid a bounty for each snake brought in dead or alive. People started to breed them and make money. The Delhi autrhorities cottoned on and suddenly cancelled the bounty. Then those who were breeding them let them all go and Delhi ended up with more snakes roaming around than before the bounty. So by coaxing guests towards five star ratings you may bring out the contrarian in them especially if you use a Pied Piper approach to the issue. If guests misinterpret your motives in producing a manual you may well irk them.

Hi, Christina!

It's great that you're looking for ways to make your guests happy; they'll really appreciate that! [personal advertising hidden]

Hope I helped,

Olivia

My listing is not my home, but a house in the same town, just a bit down the road. I always try to welcome my guests personally, even though they can let themselves into the house with the keypad code. I give them a little bit of the history of the house and invite them to contact me if they have any questions or if a problem arises. I realized that if they meet me personally they are much more likely to give me a good review. I do not ask for five star reviews. I think that is wrong. If they feel that I deserve a four star review on something then that is their right. This past week I had a very nice couple who gave me all fives starts except under "cleanliness". I was shocked at first because my place is spotless. Thanks to Airbnb's new system I was able to find out what they thought was "dirty". It was the shower head that had become clogged somewhat due to mineral deposits. I know it is a problem because the water is very hard, but I should have checked when I cleaned the bathroom and soaked the shower head in CLR. Now I know what I have to do before the next guests come. I am not striving for Super Host status. That is too stressful. When I get less than five stars I try better if it is my fault and just forget about it when it is not my fault. But it does make a difference to meet guests personally. 

Hi Christina, 

Great topic! That’s cool that you care about guests’ happiness.  To my mind the success and rating of the host depends mostly on host’s effort to make the guest’s staying nice and comfortable. Details can matter.

[Personal advertising hidden]

Hope it helps and good luck in hosting!  🙂

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Since I"m new to Air BNB, I'm trying to just keep the space as clean as I can and with each suggestion, use those suggestions to make the space better.  Also, I try to be as friendly and warm and welcoming as I can be.  I think we aren't enough warm anymore--not enough friendly and being kind and warm counts for a lot.