Taxes

Taxes

Airbnb started collecting taxes in South Carolina (where my rental home is located) recently and I am trying to figure out exactly what they are collecting and paying.  I compared their payouts to what I normally would pay but even after I account for their 2% fee for filing taxes (which I can't corfirm they are charging, but I did see a comment on this in community blog), and the local 2% tax I have to pay on my own, there is still 1.5% I cannot account for.  How can I get this detail so I can confirm my guests are being charged properly and my taxes are being paid accurately and not overpaid?

5 Replies 5
Katrina32
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks for your response, I have seen that list of taxes collected but I am looking for the detail of exactly what was paid to the SC state since it does not match what I have been paying.  There is a 3-1/2% difference even if I account for the Airbnb host fee, which I had not been paying since it wasn't reported as income to me.  I guess what I need is to see their tax documents submitted to the state on my behalf.  Any idea if Airbnb will provide these?

See if the info you need is under your transaction history> gross earnings, otherwise you may need to call them. 

how exactly does one do that? Call them I mean.  I have tried to figure out what kind of tax documentation AirBnb is planning on sending but my questions get kicked around and there is never any method of directly contacting the help center.

@Caitlin26 If you made over $20,000 and had over 200 reservations, Airbnb will send you a 1099-K.  If you did not meet this threshold, Airbnb will send you nothing.  You will use the information in your Earnings Summary for your taxes.

Here is how to Contact Airbnb: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highl...