Profile pictures needing to be human

Meagan-and-Wade0
Level 3
Winston-Salem, NC

Profile pictures needing to be human

I have just had an inquiry from a man who's profile picture is of a cat and has no reviews. I asked if he would mind providing a more accurate profile picture of himself since we don't allow pets. Why would Airbnb allow photos of animals when this is a security issue. 

36 Replies 36

@Marcia99 My impression is that you have not looked into how AirBnB works, certainly not perfect but what is. They can upload a photo to their profile.

David

@Marcia99 , looks like you are brand new to Airbnb - welcome! Lots to learn, do that first, and then you will be more comfortable. what kind of request was it? just someone asking you questions, or was it a valid booking? did you try to  message through the  Airbnb platform/message system, or did you try something else? Stay within the Airbnb platform and all messaging goes through just fine.

Yes, As you have read in other comments, some of us hosts don't like the fact that dogs, cats, and wedding cakes are being used as profile pictures. You can put it into your house rules that guests need to have a clear profile picture of themselves,  then any guest not doing that is breaking your house rules and Airbnb will back you up.

In any case,I think it would be a real good idea to throughly study and learn all Airbnb rules before you have your first guest. Also, take some time to refine your listing, more and better pictures, make your place look inviting, the bedroom just showing a mattress without a cover or sheets isn't doing it for me.good luck!

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I've noticed an increase in inquiries and booking requests from people with profile pictures of inanimate objects, Cartoon Characters, and even photographs of Political Campaign Messages.  I have no idea what a potential guest is hiding by using anything but a real photograph of themselves, and I'm not going to waste my time asking them to change it.  I simply press the decline button and move on.

I find it disturbing that in the most recent instance I could not simply press the decline button.... The AirBnB system required me to write an actual explaination as to why I was uncomfortable accepting a reservation.  And... I was required to write a message explaining why to the guest as well.

If you don't want me to know who is going to be showing up, I'm not intersted in having you stay here.

I was catching up on reviews, think all of them had a photo of themselves but only one I could truly recognise.

I did have one booking the name could be either gender and I thought it was a he, turned out to be a she....

David

@Meagan-and-Wade0   If they link to FB, the image they have there ends up on AIrbnb. Not many people realize that, hence the horsizons, flowers, dogs, celebrities and elephants who appear to be in need of rooms.  Maradona once stayed with me!

Sherry51
Level 2
Beverly Hills, CA

We are new to Airbnb. We accepted a reservation with picture of a Logo. This is for our guest house. These kids show up dressed like people in Gangs. We contacted Airbnb to get more info and they told us it was against their policy to book without an accurate profile photo. I now ask the guests without photo that we only check in guests with profile photos. 

@Sherry51 i also ask the guest to put up a real photo before i accept the booking.

it all has to be done with the app.we all have stories of strange photos from sponge bob to jesus.

also im doing 2 nights mininum and not using instant booking. my house airbnb and my rules.

stick to them and everything should be cool 

Guest can change photo after 90 days when they originally had to have it match Government ID. I too now am dealing with this.

AIrbnb should not allow instant booking if someone removes their actual face. I do not want to get dinged for now denying. Am on hold waiting for CS advice. I politely aske him to update photo and he said he did not want to. He said he sent jpeg but I do not think it can go through. Uncomfortable with no photo.

I'm with you @Sara350 , and I made it one of my house rules that guest needs to have a clear profile picture of himself/herself. I think that  gives us more leverage with  Airbnb in case they would ding us for too many declines - like, hello, it's one of my house rules! I have now also seen several hosts who do the same - no facial profile picture. Wonder where it all is headed...

see my new comment below

🙂

Fully agreed. It's just a matter of mutual respect & the one who put his mask on obviously not trying to behave !

Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

I received an Instant Book the other night with a profile picture of a cloud. Turns out the booking he made was for some friends that were not member of Airbnb at all.  My gut feel told me this is not going to be good so I had to cancel straight away - which turned out to be a problem as Airbnb does not like cancellations (I'm a new Host and didn't know this rule) even if it's a third-party booking that they discourage.  After ringing them twice it got sorted. Long story short, I cannot trust fake profile pictures either.

Amanda37
Level 2
Tempe, AZ

I had one guest come and he was from a different city than listed on AirBnB. He was nice and all but I agree that there is a lot of improvements that need to be done on the profile side of people who book. Most people who book now have never done it before, say nothing about themselves, etc. It is a huge risk for us hosts.

I've just had a request from a man with a photo of a window and no other details or reviews despite saying he's been a member since February 2016.  He also wanted me to what's App him.  I can't find how to flag/ report to Airbnb.

Christiana8
Level 2
Port Melbourne, Australia

I have repeatedly asked a guest to add a photo and location onto his profile and although he said he would he still hadn't done it. I'm feeling uncomfortable given he and his friends will be using my entire home without me in it. What should I do? Ihe sent me his passport phot but that doesn't help.