Preventing Guest Complaints

Baruch0
Level 3
New York, NY

Preventing Guest Complaints

Hi all, for months I've always been concerned when accepting guests that despite my best efforts they'd leave me a negative review. I finally had an idea that would help me detect potentially complaining guests. Enter AirReview, a free chrome extension that I created to show guests' reviews of all of their previous hosts. This way, you can screen guests that have complained previously, and make a more educated decision whether you want to host them or not.

Check it out over here: [link removed]

33 Replies 33
John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Nice idea Baruch, I wonder though are you excluding potential good guests whomight gel with you and accepting ones who worked well in other visits but might not be a good fit with you. I have found 'complaints' useful at times especially when they have been suggestions to improve. That way you can keep what works and junk what doesn't.

There is also a percentage "wally factor" which runs at about 5% in my experience that always find something to moan about or just can't be pleased. Just feather your nest with their cash and don't let the door hit them on the way out.

John, I agree. I wouldn't reject guests solely based on a negative review of their previous host - the negative review may be 100% legitimate and acceptible. But having an idea of how they review previous hosts in general can certainly assist you in detecting potentially problematic guests.

Hi Baruch.

What a convenient idea. It improves safety, too. Thanks for making this.

May I ask what else in the way of apps you make?

I have several other apps that I'm working on, none that are relevant to this thread. PM me if you'd like to talk more.

Maggie72
Level 3
Waterloo, Canada

I've had guests who leave a review that looks perfect but only give a three star. 

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very interesting.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Baruch0 it looks great, how can I install it? Does it work also on Opera and firefox?

No, Chrome extensions only work on Google Chrome browser. If there is enough interest I will create a Firefox version.

Greg94
Level 1
Glenburnie-Birchy Head-Shoal Brook, Canada

A Firefox extension would be excellent!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Baruch0

Hi there - using a Mac, have downloaded Chrome, can see the extension sitting in the top bar, but don't see anything other than reviews from hosts. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks - seems like a great idea

Hi,

Its possible that the guest you're viewing did not leave any reviews for their hosts. If you are confident that is not the case then please PM me with the URL and I will investigate. Thank you for your interest.

Baruch 

Peter365
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Most of my short term guest complaints are because of other Airbnb long term guests.

once they get settled and complacent they feel like they are "home alone" and tend to treat visiting guests like unwanted relatives upsetting their routine.

All my efforts to correct their minor hygeine and late night antics have fallen on deaf ears.

dont want to cancel a long term earner but Airbnb don't seem to have a service to assist hosts with these problems apart from threatening account closure if complaints continue.

Nightmare

Exhaspirating 

I too run a similar house - a budget "hostel" style where many guests rent seperate rooms.

It's a great concept that meet many guests needs.

Unfortunately, the lack of control stresses me out. Although I come to clean everyday, I am not there immediately after bathroom usage or kitchen usage. I never know who the "culprit" could be who is causing the mess.

My solution is to simplify - give the guests less, but maintain what you have very well.

That way you'll have less problems of bad guest interaction.

Reduce the chance of a frying mess by removing the stove. 

Replace one big refrigerator with small individual refeers.

Put individual locks on the cabinets - or remove!

Remove the washer and dryer  or charge an amount that will justify more cleaning.

In the bathroom, remove all surfaces that way people will take their stuff to their room.

Remove all towel bars  and hooks for the same reason. 

You may think you are depriving your guests, but you are reducing their stress.

So many of us have bad nightmares of bad roommates in college that we are very afraid of that situation

during our travels. This will ease their fears and yours too.

Good luck

This is so helpful for Airbnb hosts. I was wondering why Airbnb didn't already do it this way by default. Thank you so much Baruch! Hopefully, in the future, it can be integrated with the Airbnb mobile app.