PLEASE HELP!! How do I find my Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN) as a non-resident?

Chayuth0
Level 1
Cambridge, MA

PLEASE HELP!! How do I find my Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN) as a non-resident?

I hosted my room last year and 30% of my income was withheld by the US government. Now I'm filing a tax return and it asks for either my Social Security Number or my Individual Tax Identification number (ITIN). Of course as a student I don't have the SSN.

I wonder where do I find my Individual Tax Identification number? Did Airbnb assign that number to us?

Thank you so much!

6 Replies 6
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

HI @Chayuth0

First, calm down.  Its not a big deal. All you had to do was google this and it wouldve sent you the link through the IRS to file the form.

Are you not aware that its your responsibility to file your status with the IRS to get this number?  All you had to do was go onto the IRS website and search out the topic on how to get this ITIN number. There is a form to be filled out and its very easy.

Its not Airbnb responsibility to assign anything to you.  Maybe as a student, you could take the time to read the terms and conditions of Airbnb to understand what they truly are responsible for.  That way, you are educated in the best way.

IRS also provides a toll free number to call to get help on filing your taxes as a NON RESIDENT.  All you have to do is check out their website too.  Good luck.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thank you sooo much Momi and sorry that you seemed to be agitated by my post.

Your post is very helpful.

well, @Chayuth0 I tried very hard to not convey my agitation but I am always baffled as to why someone would post a comment about hosting that clearly has nothing to do with it but more so about taxes, and that's a question for the IRS.

Can I ask where are you from?  I only ask because as an attorney, teacher and MOTHER, I am raising our 12 year old daughter to try and figure things out for herself by using her brain first, before "bothering" anyone else with questions that can be answered if one just applies themselves a bit more to try and look for that answer since we have so much information available to us via the internet.  Recently, I sat down and showed her my checkbook and why I audit my bank account to reflect the balance should be what my book says.  That's not something that can really be done via the internet, so I am teaching her about balancing a budget, writing a check (yes some companies still require it) and knowing if she can really afford to buy that $5 Starbucks.  Thats helpful for her life. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but in this day and age, I am discovering that a large majority of "college" students seem to still rely on getting help on matters from parents, teachers, friends, social media instead of just being independent enough to figure it out themselves.

My own 12 year old seems to know more about how to find an answer to a complex question by searching herself via the appropriate sites before she needs to really ask me a question. Which is a good thing.  

I DO want to help.  I guess I just want to advise you on posting comments, concerns or questions that are really applicable to HOSTING....and always always make sure to use the search bar in the community center to help you with any future questions before you post again, as 90% of any question you could possibly ask will have already been asked / answered by the many knowledgable hosts.  That's what I did when I became a host first.  I just read, read read read read read and read.     I still read.  🙂

But glad I could help.  FYI - no one is gonna receive your reply unless you add -------->  @ symbol  ( I just happened to SEE your reply)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 as much as I appreciate how well you are raising your daughter, you are amazingly honest! and horribly rude.

I appreciate the @Chayuth0 question.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

This is quite an old post here and I do feel that the main point of the question has been slightly lost now. But, I do just want to add before closing this thread, that the Community Center is a place where we should all feel comfortable to speak together and ask for support from one another.

Taxes for example are a complicated topic, mainly because each state, each country has different policies, therefore it is difficult to discuss - sometimes a comforting point in the right direction or an ear is all we need. 

I am going to close this thread now and @Chayuth0, as we are a few months on since you originally posted this, I do hope you got this all sorted. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Please know that you did nothing wrong in asking this question. There is no reason for anyone to address you in such a condescending manner, but I am glad that you did get an answer.  I wish you the best of luck with the IRS. 

cheers!

SueEllen