'No-shoes-upstairs' ruling: What footwear to offer guests?

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

'No-shoes-upstairs' ruling: What footwear to offer guests?

I wasn't able to find a thread on a similar topic. 

I'd like to begin asking guests to remove their shoes in the little hallway before coming into the main part of the house and going upstairs to the guest bedroom, which has a very nice cream-coloured carpet.

I thought of offering inexpensive slippers, but I doubt that anyone would want to wear something that had been worn by previous guests. And though it's possible to buy cheap slippers here, I don't want to go to that expense each time I have a guest(s), or end up with a cupboard full of slippers. 

I suppose those little 'forensic-style' plastic slip-ons would do the trick, but that would be too unaesthetic for words. 😉 

Has anyone here found a workable solution?

Thank you. 

3 Replies 3
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Put into your rules and request that guests bring their own slippers. If you buy something cheap for them to use, likely they will be "slippery slippers" and cause a fall. Do not supply slippers.

Thanks, Monica. Yes, I'd thought about the 'slippery' aspect, though there are cheap slippers here that have little rubber thingammies on the soles. 

Good idea to instruct guests to bring their own footwear for indoors. I can mention it in my listing description as well as in my post-booking communication (along with reminding them to read the House Rules in the listing 😉 ).

By the way, how does one edit a post? I couldn't do it using Safari, and I still see no 'edit' option using Chrome. Am I missing something?

Ireen0
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I've never thought about offering slippers..... and it does seem quite an undertaking. I've been quite clear in my houserules 'no shoes inside the house please' and most guests simply bring their own slippers! 

Hope this helps,

Ireen