New host wondering about guests requesting a discount

Jennifer111
Level 2
New York, NY

New host wondering about guests requesting a discount

I am three weeks into hosting, I have had 7 guests so far, all good experiences.  I am wondering about a booking situation right now...I have someone booked who is brand new to airbnb,she just joined April 2016, and its not going smoothly.  There were problems with the reservation, beginner confusion, long waits for responses.  Then she wanted to add two days onto her reservation, I opened the days up on the calendar, and she did not book them, so I did the thing where I altered her reservation and she had to accept it,(I forgot what thats called)  After a long wait for payment, airbnb said her credit card wouldn't go through, so I texted her that info.  Now she says she's using a different card but would please like a discount.  I'm new to airbnb but not to business, and my instincts are telling me this is a very high maintenance guest and it might not go well.  But maybe discounts are a really common thing at airbnb, I don't know because I'm new at this.  I do know that I'm the lowest price in my neighborhood.  I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone has about this!  I haven't pre-approved her reservation request for the extra two days, and I almost wish I could cancel the whole thing....any thoughts on that?

11 Replies 11
Janice1
Level 6
Tamaterau, New Zealand

@Jennifer111

Your story raises a number of red flags for me.

I have learned from the posts in this forum that guests who are demanding prior to their stay can be a nightmare to host. I would not offer any discounts and in fact I would decline in this instance.

I've read many stories about these types of guests often leaving bad feedback as a parting thank you for taking up large amounts of your time.

I don't offer discounts.  I'm relatively new to airbnb also, however, non of the 11 groups I've hosted have asked for a discount.

Also, the fact that this guest is new raises concerns.  You have no history to draw upon to indecate your guest is not going to create further problems.  

Regards

Janice

Peter71
Level 2
Providence, RI

I've been hosting for two years.  The only person I offer a discount to is a returning guest.  Point out that the second and subsequent nights are at a discount, due to the cleaning fee being only charged the first night, and if they stay a week or more there is an additional discount.

I tend to become more formal the more people ask for special deals, and refer them to Airbnb's policies (such as refunds after cancellation).  

I've only had a couple guests I regretted in a hundred or more, and only one whom I gave a negative review to.  I ask for more information about the guest if I am hesitant ("You don't have any reviews: can you tell me about yourself?"), and that has steered a couple people away.  

In the end, it's your home, so you should only take people whom you are comfortable with.

Jennifer93
Level 3
Portland, OR

I've been hosting for 2 years and the guests that have asked for discounts are always high maintenance and more of a hassle than they are worth. If you altered the reservation for her and she didn't accept then she is probably not going to go through with it. Just wait it out, don't cancel on your end. If she can't get her payment in order on her end then it won't go through anyway. I also want to say that in my experience you won't have to deal with a ton of these types. Almost all of my guests have been gracious and wonderful.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Decline.

Now.

The fussing with extra days (or not), a credit card that's not allowing her to pay and then asking for a discount? 

The rule of thumb that I have is that if I have an inquiry from someone who starts getting difficult on me and they haven't been booked yet, I don't accept them. This woman sounds difficult.

Your business instincts are sound and will translate well to Airbnb. 

@Jennifer111

In my experience discounts (not including fixed discounts for week/month etc)  are an invitation for abuse.

I learnt the hard way.  Now if anyone asks for a discount I do not accept them, even if they decide to pay full price (I have been there too!) because they arrive and then try everything to get a refund (however small) and on top of it they leave negative, dishonest reviews, which airbnb will not take down  - it's just not worth it!

btw: All my other guests have been wonderful. Most people are.

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Hello @Jennifer111

I agree 100% with @Eileen4 on this matter.  I have been hosting for almost a year now and the most difficult guests I had was the one who wasnt at all grateful for the $25 refund I arranged for her after check in through Airbnb even though SHE never had a promo code in the first place as a first time user to Airbnb.... and continued to ask for more even though she left a dark chocolate candy  bar all over my WHITE comforter and sheets and it melted everywhere as she slept.  Guess what my house rule says about "food" being eaten in the room?!  Exactly.  I would contact Airbnb and request that they help you cancel this booking under the simple fact that you no longer feel comfortable with this guests which is one of the reasons you are allowed to use to cancel a booking. I think you need to listen to your gut.....I can tell you that I definitely do now.  And its been smooth sailing ever since.  Hope we all were able to help you.  And good luck. Let us know what happens.  (also, she fussed quite a bit when I charged her $5 to cover the cost of extra soap used for cleaning it during her stay as  it took alot to get ALL the stains out including on the pillows too....she got chocolate everywhere.)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Enda0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Yup! Lots of red flags here. 

Something to also bear in mind is that haggling or asking for a discount is very common in some cultures and the guest may see your price as just a starting price. I've gone along with that once or twice but only where the guest was staying for a week or more - I dropped the cleaning fee or made some other small concession and everyone was happy that the 'game' was played 🙂 

I once had a solo traveller ask me for a discount, but did it in such an utterly charming way showing that she really, really liked the place but it was a little outside her budget.  I couldn't refuse and I'm glad I didn't: she was a delightful guest and left a fantastic detailed review!

Everyone else I just stand my ground and say that the place is more than reasonable given the location, standard, service etc (it is). These guests don't tend to book (and that's probably for the best!)

Just say no and decline the booking.  This girl is trouble. Just tell her you are sorry she can't afford the fee and decline any further attempt...even if you have to block out a couple of days so she can't rent them, keep her far far away.

Hagen0
Level 2
Munich, Germany

I totally agree with all the replies to your question. I'm a bit more long-serving host with 187 reviews, almost all positive and I've had only the best experiences with the two or three odd exceptions. These exceptions were exactly like the booking you described - lots of discussions, extra wishes, payment issues etc., very high demands while staying and feeling really uneasy on my side. Plus negative reviews for silly things like offering only a jug of tap water instead of a brand bottle or storing my laundry in the bathroom (in a closed bag which must have been opened to see what's inside!). I'm sure that your instinct about this being a high-maintainance and impossible-to-comfort guest is right and I'd recommend to not accept any discounts or prolongations - chances are that this will not aid you in having a nicer experience or a better review.

So what to do? From my experience, it's always best to be open about concerns. If I were you, I'd try to get rid of that booking. Of course you can't cancel without being penalized but I'd simply address in a positive way that you feel that you might not be able to meet her expectations and she might have a better experience by cancelling with you and find another host. If you put that really nicely I see some chance that she will follow. That won't work of course if you have a strict cancellation policy and it's too late for her to cancel (I always recommend to set cancelling policy to maximum relaxed) or if she's one of these persons that go for the best price and expect maximum service anyway. If she insists on staying with you I'd write a very welcoming invitation and take her out for a drink and talks on the first night - this might be a turning point or at least will raise the bar for her to leave you a bad review. And even if she does, you can comment on a not so great review and if you do that nicely and friendly future guests will see that you care about hosting and have your own style, which will definitely help in attracting more like people you love to host.

I learned from these very few not so great experiences and adjusted my listing accordingly, stating clearly what kind of guests I prefer (though everyone is welcome) and pointing out what I can offer and what not. Be open, friendly, and communicating, but stay true to yourself and don't try to to accomodate to everyone. I believe that this is the best strategy for attracting nice guests and have great times with them - at least this worked for me.

About discounts: just don't - if your guest demands that without further reason it's sheer blackmailing I believe and I don't want to have guests who think they're in a "buyer's position" and aim to have the best deal by competition. And while discounts are possible here, it's absolutely not a "common thing". Like you, I have the cheapest price around but for me that's because I want to have cool low-budget backpacker people and not stingy trolley-pushers looking for the cheapest alternative to a hotel - and my listing has a hint on that. I do give "friendship discounts" to people travelling on a shoestring and writing really nice requests but not to Uncle or Aunt Scrooge.

Hope I could help a bit and all the best to you from Munich, Germany,

Hagen

Kris12
Level 6
Pattaya, Thailand

I have automatic discounts for 7 days+ and 28 days+, these are the only discounts they will get, unless they are returning guests.

As many others points out, the people asking for discounts are usually the most demanding. So as soon as they ask for a discount, i shut them down. I know what my place is worth and I see no reason give it away for less.

You have already had a lot of guests in a short period of time, so I am sure your price is very reasonable.

Jennifer111
Level 2
New York, NY

Update.......as predicted by many of you, the guest eventually cancelled the reservation.   I have learned alot from this, and I thank you all for your suggestions and support.