New Review Flow for Guests

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New Review Flow for Guests

New Review Flow

Hello everyone,

I know many of you have already noticed that Airbnb launched a new review flow, simplifying the process for guests to send more detailed feedback to hosts. There are already a few threads talking about this here in the CC and so I am really pleased to provide an overview of this product change for you.

We believe that detailed guest feedback is invaluable—whether it’s a rave review that encourages you to keep providing standout hospitality or a gentle reminder on how you can improve next time.

If a guest gives you less than five stars in any one category (cleanliness, accuracy and amenities, check-in, or communication), they can now choose from different focus areas in each category to help you know exactly why, and what to improve for the next time around.

To see what this process looks like, take a look at this Airbnb Blog article.

I hope this information will give you more insights around the new review flow. What do you think? Have any of your used the new review flow yet? Also, feel free to share any questions you might have on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

183 Replies 183

I totally agree. If I can not seriously vet the applicant to live in my home, I don't accept them.  I am a host and belong to WorkAway.com also HelpX.com and before we accept any applicatants into our home, we have lenghtly conversations with them, they have to send us personal photo I D, copies of air tickets showing their names, itinary, some personal photos also .  I don't accept unknown strangers into our home .  No money is worth that risk to me.    This is a train wreck watiing to happen.  On the other sites I host on, they provide a profile of the applicant, photos , personal info and contact s.   This concept is excellent, I think, but to accept a total unknonwn into a private home is suicide waiting to happen.  Business hotels have security, staff, and a non personal presence  - not so private homes.   I have heard a few horror stories  happening but the worst is yet to come with private home rentals unless there is a way to seriously vet and identify the potential guests.   I would love to host more but refuse to do so without being able to vet the applicants.  

@Gina-And-Jose-0 your post has links to weird sites

just saying whats the question.

I HAVE NO LINKS TO ANY SITES,  certainly nothing weird at all,  we host on 2 other sites that are also world wide, many years service and valid for work away and helpX both.  Nothing werid about them, the opposite.   I am surprised that you are not aware of both of them, I have live- in help all the time at no cost to me thanks to both of those Non Weird sties.  I didn't think they would be a ''link'' in my post, I just put them as honest referal explanation, and because I thought that everybody knew of them - more than airbnb.  Take a look or not, I am not promoting anything.  Just defining that we are able to vet our guests from other sites where we host with no problems.  We also have no whining about ratings on those sites.  Any questions, just ask, glad to answer.  

@Gina-And-Jose-0I haven't heard of them as I rent 1 unit but thanks for the feedback.

Sure, BRuce,  they are both live in work - exchange for staying at no charge, its a fantastic program for me.  My issue with airbnb is and has been not being able to vet the applicants who want  to rent for us - that is done excellently on the other sites we host on.  Over 6 years now we had only a couple not so good guests but on the whole it has been wonderful.  My last airbnb guy was a smoker, even though we said no smoking, the room stank and we had to detox even the walls with airpurifers going when he left, luckily we have a sealed mattress cover or it would have stunk of smoke too.  He would cook in the night and leave one hell of a mess in the sink and kitchen -  not worth it at any price for me.  If I had been able to vet this guy better, I could have said 'no'.   If you are not familiar with the other sites we host on you can take a look and even see our porifle - I use the same photo also. I always wanted to go to Israel but never got there .  Too old to do another crossing now. 

@Gina-And-Jose-0, nobody could accuse you to overly optimistic. I guess I never saw so many anticipated catastrophes in one post. It's surprising that your guests comply with all your exigences. If I tried that in my market, with lots of competition, I would not have any guests. Besides I'd need yo hire a clerk to do all that. Or maybe fet a salary free in house worker to do it ...

YOur take on it , I / we have no problem at all with anything here. I have to turn requests down all the time.

I agree. since I posted I have dripped my airbnb way down. I am even looking to fade most out. I pulled almost 70k last year for airbnb I bet I do 30k this year and drop that down to 25k next. I am closing all mine except maybe one or two. the guest have been too troubling. 

Well, Mike , now you know why I qualify intensely before I accept anybody. The guests I have accepted have been great . Of course I care about the income but Not That Much.

yes, ia m putting the income on the back track too, i dont care about it. I had someone break my closset door then the very next week someone kick in another locked door. Bad people airbnb keep sending me with insant book. For people to use instant book they need to have more then 1 star. 

We totally agree with @Yen-and-Robin0. If Airbnb is not going to consider that a 4 star rating is still very good then this new “review flow” is very damaging to host and eventually will be to Airbnb business.  When host’s ratings slip then guests are less likely to book with Airbnb and will then look elsewhere like Homeaway, VRBO or even a hotel.  Airbnb should consider that the more “high” rated places that guests have to choose from, then more business is likely to come their way.  Why is it that 4 stars still not considered VERY GOOD?

Moreover, for some hosts, like us, when we see nitpicking reviews it hits us hard and makes us consider giving up hosting. We have been rated 4 stars on accuracy and location.  Good grief, we don’t know how we can change that.  Most host work very hard to present their places in a welcoming fashion.  When we get an unfair review, especially public, it is very disappointing.  This will only promote more negativity.

And yes, if you are going to continue with this “review flow” why do we not get to rate guests on their cleanliness, communication and arrival? This is very one sided.  We also believe if guests were getting nitpicked on their ratings/reviews that they may take the time to clean those last dishes, place the wet towels in the hamper or make sure everything is in its place.

@Lizzie, thank you for posting the information and thank you for all the work you do for this community.

@Yen-and-Robin0, we do not believe you are alone in how you feel.

Nancy & Bob

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

The thing is that I don't want to have to review guests like that.  Personally, I think that if guest have paid me a quite substantial sum to stay in my apartment, I am not going to fuss over glasses left unwashed, etc.  I think they have paid to have a relaxing time, without the stress of being "downgraded" because a pot wasn't washed.  Obviously, if the place is a complete tip, requiring a hose-down, that's another matter.  That's why I think that Airbnb is trying to fix something that isn't broken.  The more detail rewquired, the more likely the guests will feel that they're back writing tests.. and who gets full marks for tests?

For the most part I also agree - this is an invitaion for guests to complain about hosts and hosts to complain about guests.  Wrong, Just wrong philosophy.   I have a very difficult guest right now but he is a nice guy and I am not going to give him a poor recommendation nor a poor review.  This becomes like a high school popularity foolish situation.  I am disappointed to find this with Airbnb .  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I totaly agree with @Robert-And-Nancy0 and @Robin4

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Lizzie

Thanks for posting this. I want to add something to my agreement with @Robert-And-Nancy0 @Robin4 @Branka-and-Silvia0 .

I know that the focus on 5 stars is hard on hosts, especially when some guests just udon't get that 4stars doesn't really mean very good (even though EBay has the same focus for sellers not everyone gets it).

So I was interested in the part of the message that said there would be a place for more specific feedback from the guest IF less than 5 stars were selected- which would indeed mean that useful information and feedback for improvement could be gathered by the host.

But - has this been piloted first? And will there be a brief intro to the review request that defines 5 stars as fully satisfied (instead of the confusing comparison to 5 stars in the hotel world?)?

i couldn't open the blog link - but will do later when on computer so I am hoping it will clarify more.

yours hopefully!

Rachael