New NYC Legislation Targeting Airbnb full apt rentals

Kristen15
Level 1
New York, NY

New NYC Legislation Targeting Airbnb full apt rentals

http://gothamist.com/2016/06/18/its_about_to_be_illegal_to_advertis.php

Should Cuomo sign this legislation, it looks like those of us in NYC will have to take down our full-apt rental ads. In this situation, how are we to manage reservations that have already been booked? 

6 Replies 6
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Fingers crossed there will be transitional arrangements so that one can host those already booked.

There might even be ways to go legal.

It would mean that you can longer be able to advertise whole house rentals if this goes into effect. Any booking would not be affected. But it will be harder to get new ones if you can't advertise.

Also I think it's all of NY state not just NYC.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Looks like it mostly affects NYC but only affects adversity properties that are it legal to rent in the first place.

Here is an article with better coverage.

https://skift.com/2016/06/17/airbnb-loses-political-battle-in-new-york-as-legislature-passes-adverti...
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ
Michael45
Level 2
New York, NY

The new law only targets "advertising" your listing for less than 30 days it does not say you can't "book" your apartment for less than 30 days, you only can't "advertise" it.  

So what if all NYC hosts just change their minimum night stay to 31 days, and in the detailed description state  "NYC prohibits advertising less than 30 day stays, message me in regards to availablity of the apartment and the length of your stay, and I will accomodate your request"  Or something to that effect.  

Eventually guests will learn to read between the lines and message you about stays less than 30 days.  We definately need some sort of work around to help us out.

@Michael45 , my listing is in my private home so this law would not apply to me, however you're solution for others is very clever! 

is this accurate in avoiding the fines.

can we get airbnb guidance?