New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307
Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Dunny0 @Margherita29 @Robin @Huma0 I'm so plesed to see this discussion is still continuing and your are all continuing to echo my sentiments.I Agree with you that Airbnb seems to be loosing the plot with regard customer service to the hosts.

Dunny your comment:

There is also a clear generational or behavioural divide. Older folks used to communicating in discussion like

to have prior contact. They don't require so much automation. Younger people who have grown up in the Internet age

using the minimized language of Twitter, uncomfortable face-to-face, depend upon computers, buttons, automation.

Instant Book is for them. We do all we can to avoid the latter, attract the former. This is spot on, thank you for putting it into words.

Hospitality is a challenging occupation, getting the 5 star reviews consistently is possibly beyond possibility when there are "narky" guests... those that nothing pleases....those who think the review system is so they can find fault, any fault, there has to be a fault, this place can't be perfect, it is in their psychic 🙂

We as a collective do need to appeal to ABB to return to their original concept, Hosts willing to share their space; in whatever format it is offered; with the guest - both who seek to meet nice people, share their patch and experience living like a local when travelling, whilst staying safe.

Look forward to the continued discussion.

Hi guys interesting discussion, not sure that i totally agree with the generational divide theory, the majority of my guests have been  young couples from all over the world, not one headache.I find them easy, organised, and fun. Maybe the key is couples...also professional...

I find that after my one bad guest, older and Swiss, I've been very careful with newbies, I also try to engage a bit with them by email, and when in doubt I decline.

I found the experience of having unhappy, quite confrontational clients horrible and really exhausting, this was then made 1000 times worse while I waited to see if i'd be unfairly torn apart in the review process, and maybe lose my Superhost status.

Thankfully i wasn't, but I reduced a 10 day booking to 2 in high season, turned out they were decent.

But i would hate to go through that again, so newbies, no profilers or people who won't talk a bit about themselves or their holiday plans can go stay somewhere else.

xx

Kari

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dunny0....You must understand that, to this point, there is a never ending supply of hosts to satisfy a never ending supply of guests.....A perfect storm where Airbnb are concerned!

So, Airbnb have worked on the philosophy that guests make you money....hosts cost you money! A guest pays whatever you ask....a host demands more than you are willing to pay! A guest gives you recommendations to others.....a host complains about dealing with you.

It's beedin obvious to see where the loyalties of Airbnb damage control are going to side...isn't it!!!

The balance is shifting though....I have been doing a lot of researching, and in many areas Airbnb's growth is slowing while other platforms are experiencing mega growth......Home hosting is not gowing away...There are too many people who want to make a buck out of their spare room! But Airbnb's slice of the cake is dimishing! I am in touch personally with a number of hosts in my part of the world who are switching to Homeaway and Stayz because they have had enough of being treated like the villian for doing nothing more than opening up their lives to guests from Airbnb. Now they have found it, they are not going to stop hosting, they are going where they are treated with a little more respect!!

A year is going to see a dramatic shift in Airbnb Idealogy....as their grass roots rot away! They are going to claw back their business in corporate areas....It's already started to happen! Despite a major purge on multiple listing hosts a year ago, there are now hosts with 200+ listings, and within 5 years there will be many with 1,000 listings or more.

It is really sad to see this company that I love, and have respected, sell its soul for a corporate dollar. There are some serious bogey men in advisory roles within the company and while this corporate metamophasis is taking place and the company is putting on a smiling face in order to lure that share price.....we the vehicle that got them to this point are a disposable commodity.

I would hate to see this platform in its present format sink....but I seriously can't see it surviving....Too many hosts are hurting on too many levels......

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Hi Rob,

Thanks as always for your thoughts. I thik you mentioned once that you also host or exchange 

with ETN. I looked them up and wrote them. They've been in operation a long time, and seem

perfectly grass-roots, organic, small-scale. What is your experience with them? 

I'm trying to persuade my wife to let us join and investigate, take part. 

Would really rather meet artists, photographers than teachers, but what the heck.

Take care,

@Dunny

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marianne67 @Dunny0 there is a recent post here: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Rating-system-how-it-works/m-p/323639#M42116

which explains how the system calculates your percentage of five star reviews.

According to this system, a four star review doesn't have more weight than a five star one, but because that 1 x four star review can bring your overall percentage down significantly, you need several five star reviews to make up for it.

It doesn't seem fair when you have strived hard to get lots of five star reviews and one or two particuarly picky guests knock your score way back. I don't always blame the guest though as many don't understand that hosts are expected to get five stars. They think four is a really good rating.

Marc46
Level 3
Sandstone Point, Australia

@Huma0 you wrote "I don't always blame the guest though as many don't understand that hosts are expected to get five stars. They think four is a really good rating."
That's exactly the experience we had with one guest who explained us that he never gives a 5 star to anyone because it stands for perfection and in his vision perfection simply doesn't exists...
Go to explain that to Airbnb

This morning I got a message from a repeat customer that she was sorry to tell us her boy friend had knocked a hole in the bedroom door...let's see if I still get a 5 star rating from her after she will pay for the damage repair...or should I move heaven and earth to get the damage repaired at minor cost...in the hope that she will still give us a 5 star rating?
The new rating system is keeping us a hostage once you focus on trying to become a superhost. 

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Marc46 yes I think you are right  "The new rating system is keeping us a hostage once you focus on trying to become a superhost. " I think I'll forget about trying to get to superhost. I already do everything possible to ensure the comfort of my guests. In fact a lot of the time I go way over and beyond expectations to get mediocre reviews.

AND  for those asking what people are rating, here is something which may help you.

Latest review

Public review

Private feedback

This is an Airbnb notation.
 I have no idea what that is about!!!!

Guests can now choose from different focus areas in each category to help you know exactly where to tidy up or what to improve for next time around. This info is private between you and the guest.

they gave us 4****

GUEST MENTIONED

"Very quiet, a short drive to the shops and restaurants."

CLEANLINESS

COMMUNICATION

VALUE

And no stars for any of these.

So yes the guests can pick and choose what they rate us on, so no wonder some of you are finding strange reviews. The SMELL ODOUR one didn't appear in the review catergories! @Lisa367 @Huma0 @Dunny0 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So, @Gina32, the guests can choose not to rate on some of the star categories? That's news to me. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad...

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Huma0 that has been my experience. In fact I had a guy staying from Spain last week, for the whole week, and he gave me a general  five stars but didn't rate anything else at all. I have had most of those types of ratings. Generally I think majority of guests are too busy to rate in depth and just leave any kind of review, because they think it is something they have to do, because ABB keep reminding them.

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I make it part of my walkthrough. I also have a guest book which they leave messages on and a pinboard. It is a great way of finding out anyway what a guest thought of your place before they do a review. Those ones who don't sign the guestbook are either unmotivated or don't think you or your place is anything special. I often find guests leafing through what others wrote and I also explain that each message means the world to me. I occasionally photo the recent messages and put it the phootos of my listing. When I travel myself I prefer a fairly well reviewed place but more importantly reent reviews which is why I hunt my guests down.

Funnily enough as I am always on the hunt for hidden gems I sometimes avoid a place that has 100+ reviews unless it is cheap but good cheap.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marc46, yes I've realised that stressing about keeping my superhost status is a bit pointless. I've had lovely guests who said they were absolutely happy with everything, but they didn't leave me a single five star in any category. I simply think they thought four stars was great, so that's what I got!

In the beginning, I was getting five stars almost all the time, but lately I can never tell if they will give four or five. I don't think my hosting standards have gone down though. I have tried to improve all the time based on feedback, but that hasn't improved my ratings. Not sure what more I can do.

I also noticed that I get lower ratings when the weather in London is very cold and higher ones when it is mild. I try to make sure the house is warm enough, but obviously I can't control the weather.

Tina80
Level 4
Treasure Island, FL

I agree with you 100% . I have never had a single bad review but now , I am getting messages that my master bath could be cleaner ? No it couldn't ! I vacuum , then mop then swifter for hairs . I change the shower curtain , I scrub till my knuckles hurt but now since the new review for guest has come into effect, I'm seeing feedback not provided to me in fact exactly the opposite 

Just ignore it, treat it like spam. It is not useful and will only cause upset.

David
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Tina80 I'm with you. I just got rated down to 4* on cleanliness and overall experience due to some cobwebs outside. Don't people realise that cobwebs can appear in a matter of hours?

Guest believe a four star review is great and in actuality it should be. Guest do not know that a four star review can be penalizing to the host . I know this to be the case, because I have had wonderful guest leave me excellent reviews, how they cant wait to come back and then give me a four star review. I believe superhost should be between 4.5 and 5.00 stars. Its more fair. I go above and beyond for every guest, chalkboard messages, wine, cheese, crackers, popcorn, bottled water and sometimes a pizza if I know they are coming in late directly from the airport. I also provide mini shampoos soaps lotions, new toothbrushes, the list is endless. Because this is how I want to be treated when arriving at an airbnb. I like to wow my guest, but I sometimes end up with the WOW myself . I am not going to sweat my superhost status anymore. A 100 credit a year just isnt worth being upset over a 4 star review.