Kicking out a renter

Katie107
Level 2
Denver, CO

Kicking out a renter

I have a renter who requested to stay with her three dogs. She assured me they were well trained, well behaved and she would taking care of them. 

However, the dogs aggressively bark at anyone who comes close to my home. Neighbours have threatened to report her animals. I cannot have friends over at the house without the dogs freaking out and I can no longer work from home as her dogs bark incessantly. 

Her dogs like and are great with me, but they are aggressive animals and most people aren't as well versed with rescue Pittbulls and are not able to be around them. I am afraid that to avoid issues with my neighbours and the police I need to ask them to leave but am not aware of how to do so. 

Have you dealt with this before? How did you "evict" a guest?

18 Replies 18
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

You either accept dogs or you don't, and your listing should reflect this.

You simply can not change your mind after a booking is made. 

Understood, however dogs that threaten to attack humans and where neighbours are threatening to report the dogs to the police should be treated the same way you would if someone was damaging the home or being your neighbours were reporting their aggressive activity to the police. 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

sounds like a nightmare, hope it will be over soon! Maybe this experience could lead to  simply not accepting dogs any longer , certainly not three for the price you are asking for, in one private room and shared facilities. I don't think you'd lose any bookings, in fact some potential guests might stay away because they understand that at times there were dogs in that room.

As for getting the guest out now, it will be messy, but perhaps worth your peace of mind, also depends how much longer they would be staying. Seems like promising well behaved dogs is definitely not what is happening, so you have that in your favor. Do it through Airbnb.  Good luck!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't agree at all with @Lilian20 - there is a huge difference between accepting dogs whose owner said they are well trained and behaved and becoming a prisoner in your own home because friends and family can't visit and you can't work and therefore earn an income.

Also it is highly unfair to your neighbours to be disturbing them to this extent.

A guest shouldn't leave dogs in your house when they go out.

What were you thinking accepting a guest with three dogs in a shared space 🙂 :(. I don't believe for one moment she didn't know what her dogs were like, so any assurances to you were empty promises. Just because you are a dog lover doesn't mean you should put up with an irresponsible dog owner. 

You need to sit down and talk to your guest and let her know unfortunately her dogs behaviour is having such an impact on your daily life and your neighbours that you can't continue to host her. Before you do this call BNB explain what has happened and that you need her to leave because of the severe impact it is having on your and your community.

It sounds like she needs to be in a self contained property in the country so people aren't disturbed by her dogs. 

Give her a couple of days notice if you like to find somewhere else. 

I do hope you have house rules to cover both guests and their animals behaviour, about not disturbing neigbhours etc.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Helen3 a dog is a dog, he can not promise to behave.

Animals, even nice ones, make noise, maybe that's why the neighbours are unhappy.

From a host perspective, there's not much you can do once the dogs are here if you said you would accept them. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is not about the dog. I have had dogs and come from a family which keep labradors. It is always about the owner and how they have trained their dogs.

This owner said they are well behaved quiet animals. This is clearly not the case.

If the owner can't invite family or friends around or work in her own home then the guest  has clearly not trained the dogs so they are capable of living in a shared space where strangers will enter.

There is a huge difference between animals sometimes barking and getting excitable and animals that can't be left without the owners or who are not comfortable having strangers in a home setting. This is not normal behaviour for a well trained dog.

Knowing this the guest should be looking for a self contained space.

Ash-and-Dasha0
Level 10
Redwood City, CA

I disagree that you have to put up with this situation. Simply because you accept dogs, doesn't mean you have to tolerate guest's dogs who threaten you. First thing would be to talk to the guest or send a message through airbnb explaining that you are uncomfortable with her dogs. Ask her to find alternative housing and offer to refund any unused portion of her stay. If this proves to be a futile attempt, call airbnb and talk about finding an alternative place for this guest. 

Valerie87
Level 1
Comox, Canada

I agree with Helen 100% 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Katie107, if you are looking for votes, I agree with @Helen3 and @Ash-and-Dasha0 and @Valerie87. When you agree to take human guests who promise to be nice, sometimes they are not and you have to take steps. When you agree to take dog guests who promise to be nice...

How long is the guest there for? Part of me agrees with Just A Trav, you accepted them and maybe the dogs are acting different to normal in a new space. I accept kids, once a kid pissed the bed. He was a bit older but I put it down to him being in an unusual house.  If the stay is short, I personally would grin and bear it. Obviously if it were a long term rental I'd give them notice and ask them to leave. 

Bottom line... It's your home, do what makes you feel better. Short term I'd honour the deal, long term I probably wouldn't.

They are here for 39 days total, and have already been here for 10 days. I'm great with dogs (I've raised a rescue and had other large dogs that are aggressive breeds), but it's evident these dogs were not socialized and will not adapt to having any humans other than myself and their owner around. 

I think I'll give them 5-7 days notice and advise I'd love to have them stay but unfortnately due to concerns from the neighbours and impact on the house we cannot have them stay. 

KK

In my opinion, I think you are being more than fair.

Good luck!

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

i agree with @Daniel127 you're being fair considering the length of the stay which i had completely underestimated. 

..Are we even sure they are dogs ? (only joking)

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Katie107 i really like your story,

i checked your property quickly and it looks very nice with leather chairs and all..

So i have added your place to my wish list and also just tweeted about it.

I am sure this will help. 

@Daniel127 i have also done the above with both your listings carrer d'avinyon