[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

[Guide] Keeping listing disputes under control

Too often we see disputes between guests and hosts over Listing expectations. These days with the resolution centre can seem more reluctant to accept a hosts word when a dispute arrises, I do the following.

I have prepared a laminated checklist and as I go, I do things in the order and tic each item with a texta marker.

When complete I also have an non laminated copy which I duplicate, date and photograph, and this gets placed inside the cover of the house rules to indicate these items have been attended too before the guest for that date has arrived.

Checklist bitmap 2.png

This sheet forms the elements that a guest will see and form some opinion on!

I explain in a lighthearted way to guests that with the onset of age one can easily overlook some triviality and this is my way of remembering to do everything.

I also have a similar sheet which refers to the mechanics of the cottage.

1/. Is the hot water service turned on and hot.

2/. Are the drains free from obstructions.

3/. Do the door and window locks operate correctly.

4/. Are the blinds and curtains in good condition.

5/. Are the exhaust fans working and free of lint.

Once you get into a routine it doesn't take long to do these things and it does tend to give the guest confidence that you are serious about what you are doing, and that this might possibly not be the listing to try out for a 'freebie'!!

Cheers.....Rob

35 Replies 35
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Robin4 Yeah, right!? One certainly comes across all sorts here!

I had it happen a couple of times replying to a clueless host's help cries and forgot the honey-sugar coating and was slapped down for being snarky and some other inexcusable behavior, I now forget what. Completely indignant, Snowflake meltdown, poor things, had hurt their feelings, strong words...  more strong language... Lizzie had to intervene!

Somebody with axes to grind would probably feel more at home on another forum I've been fly on the wall (yeah, I can actually do that too!) for a week or so. But not quite my style - underhanded punches  and aggressiveness of some participants...

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea9...........I would be quite happy if @Lizzie removed the part of this thread that relates to these particular comments....

There are many new hosts on the forum and it does not do any good to see sarcastic aggressiveness on the part of some individuals. We are here to help, not tear down, and although we may have differing ideas, we all learn from each other! I can't tell you how much help you, Monica, Helen, David, Marit  Anne , Linda , Gerry And Rashid,  Alice & Jeff, Eloise .......in addition to Dave & Deb, Deborah, and others have been to me! I am the confident host I am now because of you all, and when threads start to become some sort of a cheap point scoring exercise it does not reflect well on us, nor does it help the newer hosts that come here looking for constructive advice.

Cheers....Rob

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Robin4

I feel exactly as you do about

"... many new hosts on the forum and it does not do any good to see sarcastic aggressiveness on the part of some individuals. We are here to help, not tear down, and although we may have differing ideas, we all learn from each other! I can't tell you how much help you, Monica, Helen, David, Marit  Anne , Linda , Gerry And Rashid,  Alice & Jeff, Eloise .......in addition to Dave & Deb, Deborah, and others have been to me! I am the confident host I am now because of you all, and when threads start to become some sort of a cheap point scoring exercise it does not reflect well on us, nor does it help the newer hosts that come here looking for constructive advice."

I think most of what I now know and implement and how to do that is from advice by those great other hosts and you!

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

@Robin4 @Andrea9

[Inappropriate content hidden]

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

LOL @Em4, get 'm a puppy 🙂

Kind of funny, there was another host who appeared on the scene end week or weekend who couldn't take it and blew fuses slandering hosts, even @Robin4 who's so balanced in replies. Anyway touting  amazing landlord experience with verbal slam, slam, slam and bad language. What always gets me is where the heck was the trigger that set them off??! Anyway, I saw another post with same host on another thread and the same thing - pop in, throw around the verbal sling shot...

Might have been banned now after Lizzie intervened.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I just want to step into this post, as it is moving quite off-topic and personal now. There are some excellent discussions here and I am sure many hosts will still continue to enjoy reading this thread. Thanks so much @Robin4 for starting it.

As I have mentioned before, the Community Center is a great place to welcome different opinions to our discussions. With so many people here it is likely that we are going to not always agree on everything. For the CC to work as a positive, constructive and inviting space for everyone though, we do have to be able to get along. We always hope that ever sentiment will be constructive, but there is always the possibility that a word or description will be misunderstood or taken in a different manner than it was originally intended. On the rare occassion, that a comment goes past this and starts to be personal to another member here (either as a intial post or a response), this goes against what the Community Center is about and why we enjoy speaking with others. In this case, often what happens is more words can sometimes escalate a situation, one disagreement between another person can then turn into a disagreement between one person and five people and so on. Sometimes it is better to take a step back and think where this is going and what is best for our community here. You always have the option to highlight/report a situation to me and I can look into it further, so please do. 🙂

In this case, I will have to unfortunately close this thread. Robin, I do hope you will continue to share you wonderful tips here in the CC, it has been a popular post, but I hope you will understand why I am doing this.

Thank you all for your time and speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.