Just an experience

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Just an experience

This past week has been one of the least pleasant of the year. All 5 spaces were rented and 4 out of 5 gave me a good feel of what its like to own a property when I do and also why I don't have roommates. One guest stayed for a week and used a 2 hour block of bathroom time every morning (7-9am) and night (9-11pm) and in those two hours she'd go between her room and the bathroom over 15+ times. The sink would turn on and turn off and she'd sprint back to the room. Then run back to the bathroom 5 mins later and flush the toilet and this would go on for over 2 hours for 5 days. The doors would slam open and shut over those two hours waking me up with a headache over the week she was here and keeping me awake at night. One morning I'd finally had it and went into the bathroom during one of her sprints to see what was going on. The bathroom was destroyed! Water drenched the counter, urine every where on the toilet seat, mirror was filthy with specks of toothpaste, trash bin full of tissue to the brim, long hair was every where, hair dryer was on the counter, boxed tissue was empty although Id just put it out two days ago. It looked like a team of soccer players had used my bathroom instead of one petite lady. I cleaned it back to its original state but I was floored. She asked for a late check out at the last minute and I couldn't bring myself to allow it. I wanted her out as soon as possible for the sake of my sanity.

During this same period another guest booked another space for 5 days but I had to text them to see if they ever arrived. On day three I had yet to meet the person and sent a text to see how they were enjoying there stay. No response. I sent a message to their phone. No response. I noticed the light never turned off in that space and on the 3rd night I ventured over to the space to see that there was no luggage or anything to be found. I suppose they checked out early with no word. Nothing. Just left. Whats up with people?

Another guest felt the shower was too cold so I look at the water heater and turn up the heat. Well the next morning they text to say...its too hot. Got a plumber over to check it out and the cost to fix everything....$335. The cost of their stay $260. Of course the guests before them had no issue AT ALL with the water temperature and their traveling companion had no issue either, but to save myself a drawn out series of morning and evening texts and calls I decided to fix it. It was an issue that came and went and most guests managed to work around the temp of the water

While the plumber was there the other room of guests decided to tell the plumber the toilet handle falls off. It never fell off for me over the past 9 months, but for some reason they managed to bring it up. That was thankfully a free fix, but at 0800 I believe I'd met my limit of things that I wanted to deal with.

The last guest was a bit older and forget the one house rule of no shoes on the carpet and just wore them all over my carpet. I couldnt bring myself to even mention it, but they made sure to let me know they had no idea how to get out of the complex and that I should include it in my 3 paragraphs of arrival instructions. I said whats another sentence.

Ive decided to block all of next week across the board just to keep my head on. As a bit of good news I'm closer to buying a house and reaching my savings goals for the down payment. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Zacharias0 look and learn 🙂 

2673466-vacation-dog.png 

@Zacharias0 hang in there! @Branka-and-Silvia0 love it 🙂 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Zacharias0, your post made me Laugh Out Loud.  Literally!

I feel for you, my friend, but what you described was my life raising four kids who could drive me bonkers.

I have three daughters - your bathroom statements had me rolling!  My girls could walk out of a room looking like fashion models while leaving their rooms looking like war zones.

Older man trampling on your carpets could have been my dad (may he rest in peace!).  And yes.... my dad would give me grief if I hadn't provided simple instructions on how to get out of a complex.

You obviously have a wonderful sense of humor and that will ensure you a long life.  Enjoy your week off.  I'll be raising a glass to you!

@Branka-and-Silvia0, EXCELLENT RESPONSE!  Ha ha ha ha ha  🙂