It makes it hard to get good reviews when the customers feel they are ripped off. 15% service fee??

Jenny190
Level 1
Suttons Bay, MI

It makes it hard to get good reviews when the customers feel they are ripped off. 15% service fee??

Hello! I just found out that Airbnb has increased their fees to 15%. For a three night rental, (my place is $125 per night) they make $60 dollars off my guest and myself. Is anyone else blown away and angry with this? I might be looking elsewhere to host.  I just had such an embarrasing and apologetic conversation with one of my guests who didn't understand why each night was an additional $16.

Just thought I would reach out, as a superhost, to others in this community to see if anyone else is discovereing that clients are upset or enraged by this.  It sure does make it hard to get good reviews when the customers feel as if they are getting ripped off.

Jen

2 Replies 2
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jenny190 thought it was 12% from the Guest and 3% from the Host? I did nto know they had increased the Guest fee. Seems to be that on my listings?

Nobody has every mentioned the fees to me, I would prefer that the quoted prices included all charges but that is not how AirBnB do it.

All the booking sites seem to charge a lot, well all the ones I have come across.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jenny190

Jenny, it's the system we operate under, and every service provider needs to be compensated for what they do. That packet of cornflakes you purchase from Wallmart or whatever supermaket chain you deal with in America would have at least a 16% markup on it!

On occasions when I have travelled to the United States, when I go to pay my restaurant bill there is a suggested tipping range of between 21% and 30% for (in many instances) food I did not order, and service I did not get!

But it's the system.....

Like @David126 I have never had a guest complain about the Airbnb service fees! But then again I am not listing in a major tourist area and the Airbnb service fee on my listing is typically less that 10%. For my $85au nightly rate the guest pays $93au and nobody has been upset by this. They realise that the process of bringing this host and what the host has to offer to the guest is worth something.

Quite often I will have guests ask if, the next time, they can book without using Airbnb to save that cost and their feeling is...they have paid Airbnb for the introduction, that should be it as far as Airbnb are concerned. But when I point out all the safeguards and umbrella of coverage that Airbnb offers, they understand the charge.

Jenny, you would not dream of asking that hotel chain for your money back if the booking you made for some reason or other didn't suit. But Airbnb promote this policy...if the wheels fall off the wagon you can have your money back...Jenny, guests need to consider that when they grizzle about costs, and you being a representative of Airbnb need to point that out to them!

I love dealing with Airbnb because money is the one thing I don't have to discuss with the guest! All that has been taken care of before the guest arrives, and it just materializes in my bank account a couple of days later. I never have to chase it...it is a smooth seamless operation.

All I can say to you Jenny is, don't talk about money with the guest, don't tell them what you receive! Tell them the money side of things is between the guest and Airbnb, not you. Point out the positives about dealing with Airbnb which, as a superhost you know full well, and just continue to provide that great service that you obviously do....good luck Jenny

Cheers.....Rob