I have a request for a guest wanting a rental for him and his 13 year old daughter. should I rent to

Francisco64
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I have a request for a guest wanting a rental for him and his 13 year old daughter. should I rent to

I have a problem with this. How do I tell him no?

11 Replies 11
Katie57
Level 1
Sumrall, MS

You have a problem with hosting a father with his teenage daughter?

It sounds like the host assumes 'something else is going on' or is concerned he's hosting a 'dodgy situation'.  Of course if that were the case I'd decline too but seriously many parents travel with their kids.  Fathers/sons, Fathers/daughters, Mothers/sons, Mothers/Daughters.  It's a shame that dads and daughters are always somehow higher up on the 'suspicious' scale.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Bridget0
Level 10
Redmond, WA

If there is a request that you don't wish to accept for any reason, all that you are required to do it hit the decline button. You literally don't have to say anything to them. It sounds rude but you don't gave to go any further than that and don't have to say anything else.

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

I'm confused as to why you don't want to Host this Father and Daugther....is there more to this comment? 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's up to you who you accept in your home.

However quite a number of our guests have been fathers or mothers taking their son or daughter away to Europe after finishing school

It's a very nice thing to see a parent and son/daughter exploring your city together and having quality time together.

Wish I could have done that with my dad.

Shana0
Level 2
Colchester, VT

I don't understand the problem...

I actually request "no families", and even before this was an option, I was clear about it. There is a No Families request option in your preferences.

My listing, however, is in NYC, which is an often-family unfriendly city. In any event, my building is very definitely family unfriendly - and there are noise issues. My neighbors could be disturbed by family noises, and it is hard, if not impossible, to suppress the noises of each kids visiting the big city.

In effect, this is a noise, and a space issue - it really isn't large enough for families. I turn them down, with thanks in their interest, on every single occasion.

Some hosts are simply more comfortable with adults and singles - I am one of them. I also turn down anyone who raises any sort of red flag for groups, extra guests, and partying - one of the reasons I would never select the Instant Book option.

It is entirely up to you and your good judgment as to who you accept. If I had a big vacation lakefront house in Vermont or Wisconsin, I would say SURE to all families. I don't, though. You know what is best for you, and if you are uncomfortable, rest assured it's best.

Actually the issue here is one queen size bed and a father sleeping in the same bed with a 13 year old girl. This seems a bit creepy and I dod not want to be a part of that creepiness. I am not sure how sleeping arrangements are in Europe, but here in the US that kind of stuff is view as creepy.

@Francisco64

Thank you for posting a very thought provoking question.  I also find the situation a little creepy now you've mentioned the bed sharing.

I have stashed a fold out portable single bed (almost a camp stretcher)  that can fit into the corner of the room if two separate beds are required.   However, i would feel more comfortable if the father had made the request independantly rather than me offering.

I would say go with your gut feeling.  After all it is your home.

Regards

Janice

It really depends on what a person finds creepy I guess - fathers and daughters, fathers and sons, friends (male and female) have all stayed with us and used the same bed.

Personally we have no problem with it - but it's your home and if you find it creepy then you are not going to be happy with them staying with you.

Holly3
Level 3
Richmond, VA

I recently got a request for this and was surprised since I only have a full size bed. I simply responded asking him that I just wanted to be sure he understood I only had a full size bed and he responded that they were travelling with their own blow up mattress which he would sleep on and she in the bed. I asked if he had his own pump (as I had no way to inflate it--he did) and did some back and forth about making sure it would fit in the room. They were European, and turned out to be one of my favorite guests yet, so be friendly in asking for clarification and you may discover more information.