I had to cancel a guests stay for certain reasons and now those dates are showing off as blocked on

I had to cancel a guests stay for certain reasons and now those dates are showing off as blocked on

I had to cancel a guests stay for certain reasons and now those dates are showing off as blocked on my calendar and no one else can make a reservation. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks! -Rachael

8 Replies 8
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Rachael-And-Eric0  It's not a problem - it's made to do that.  There are PENALTIES for canceling a reservation and one of those is having your calendar blocked for the dates you canceled.  Click the link to see what other fun penalties there are.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rachael-And-Eric0 I am absolutely staggered that with 108 reviews under your belt, possibly 130 + hostings and being superhosts you do not understand the rules that govern reservations and cancellations. That to me is completely amazing. Tell me, do you know how to contact Airbnb if something goes wrong, or is that just another little snippet of information you didn't think was important?

You will loose your Superhost status now for a period of one year from the date of that cancellation. You will have an automated posting put on your review page that you cancelled a guest resevation, and guests tend to stay clear of hosts who cancel reservations, it puts reliability doubts in their minds.

You may have extenuating circumstances but that is not something that the system recognises...it just accepts that you hit the 'cancel reservation' tab!

I would suggest you contact Airbnb on that superhost phone number you received, (what number you say!) before Airbnb removes your access to it and plead your case where that cancellation was concerned, and see if you can get a favourable result and get your calendar opened and the other penalties removed.

I am sorry if I sound a bit cynical here but this is the sort of posts we get from new hosts who have very little experience in dealing with Airbnb's rules, not experienced superhosts.....

Gee, I tell ya, I learn something new every day!

Cheers.....Rob

It is all taken care of now, Robin. I think your message could have been said in much kinder words. That being said, the reason we didn't know how to deal with this issue (and the reason we are Super Hosts) is because we have never had to cancel on anyone before ;).

Thank you to others that have helped with a positive attitude! Happy Friday! 

@Rachael-And-Eric0 Yeah, I am sorry Rachael, I could have worded that better! I think I have probably seen that question of yours maybe 400 times in the past 8 months, and I know, every time it gets asked, it is really important to the person asking but, to those of us who see it regularly we do tend to be a bit....'here we go again' and that is not fair.

But what particularly struck me about your situation, you have had so much success, your reviews are an absolute credit to you, your guests love you! You are the essence of what Airbnb is all about...or used to be all about!

I just struggled with the concept that your career has been so smooth....no prickly guests, no guests who want to change things all the time, no guests who don't turn up, no guests who damage your property. 

Look, good on you, it's just an unusually good run that you have had where you have never had to resort to 'plan B'.

I am glad it is sorted out Rachael, have you managed to get those penalties lifted? When hosts don't give a preverbial what the guest gets and just have their hand out for the money, you sort of feel a penalty is not a bad idea every now and then! But being a superhost myself I know and appreciate how much work goes into getting to this point, and I fully understand how one bad guest, or one badly judged move on the part of the host can undo months and months of great work.

Sorry again...I chose my thoughts poorly.........we friends??

Cheers....Rob

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I 'dunno...  Sounds to me like you reinserted the knife, and twisted.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mark26

Excuse me....where on earth did that come from!!

I have the same situation. Did you get the dates unblocked?

@Paula103

its a penalty for cancelling