How are Hosts dealing with guests having Samsung Note phones?

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

How are Hosts dealing with guests having Samsung Note phones?

Hello Fellow Hosts,

Happy New Year! I hope 2017 is of to a good start!

Recently, I was flying from Canada to US and back, and both ways, there was an annoucement for travellers to hand-over Samsumg smart-phones to flight crew. This was obviously related to the Samsung Note 7 battery problems and handsets catching fire while charging. As a safety measure, the flight attendent request all Samsung smart phones and not just Note 7 series.

How are hosts dealing with guests having Samsung Note 7? So far, I have hosted couple of guests carrying Note 7 and there were no concerns. When I asked them politely about the battery issues, they said that they have been contacted by Samsung and are waiting for the replacement devices. Since the guests were only staying for couple of nights, they exerted caution and there was no problem.

Since my travel, I have been thinking about how to deal with this, as every traveller has a smartphone now.

Regards,

Casadell

1 Reply 1

This had to be isolated because I carry a Samsung Note 5 and have been on several flights, no one's asked me for my phone.  Samsung Galaxy Note 7s have been banned from Airlines since October, 2016  and the FAA just recalled the requirement to even make the announcement.  As the article states, 96% of all phones have been returned and replaced already. http://fortune.com/2017/01/12/airlines-samsung-galaxy-note-7-warning/

I'd be more worried about someone leaving their laptop on the bed plugged in while they are gone all day long.  That's a fire hazard for sure.