House rules (no smoking) and collecting security deposit

Jason144
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

House rules (no smoking) and collecting security deposit

Hello,

I've just had my first bad experience with Airbnb (as a company). So far, these guys have been great.

I recently made a claim on a guest that violated my House Rules (no smoking). The smell was strong when I walked in (tobacco & marijuana), there were ashes on the counter, fabric sofa, small burn mark in the kitchen table and a glass with cigarette butts in it. I took pictures, made my claim to the guest. The guest did not respond and I involved Airbnb. They required (with strong deadlines, do or else) quotes from table repair and a cleaning service (remove smoke smell from furniture). Keep in mind that it's winter and the windows were never opened. They came back, rejected the claim and said "it was not fair to the guest to pay for this. The decision is final and cannot be overturned".

What is the point of the security deposit? Can damages be more than visual (ex. smell)? What rights do we have as host on the platform to protect us against disrespectful guests that violate clear rules prior to booking? Why bother having a security deposit (the higher the deposit, the less bookings) if everything is treated like the host guarantee?

Jason

30 Replies 30

Jason, 

I have now collected for security deposit due to guests smoking in the room twice in the past 3 years, both are granted. The first guest admitted smoking and volunteerly paid the deposit amount; the 2nd guest denied even though we have evidence. But after Airbnb investigated the evidence, we now have just collected the deposit (The security deposit is $250).

Even though the work/time/blocked days lost due to guest's smoke odor is way more than the $250 value (we have to wash everything in the house, repaint the wall, blockout day for booking), but that's the risk of hosting. How much do you try to seek for the damage? I would say if you try to charge thousands of dollars to get the smoke out, I don't think they will honor your estimate. I am sorry that it happened, but I think you can probably only get the security deposit that you set when they book your place, not the afterwards estimates.  

The amount claimed was $400. When I called Airbnb the reps resonse was the full security deposit ($500). Felt it was a little high. I had to get quotes from suppliers to show them the costs and it was just over $400. The issue was with the claim manager. All had to be done my email, no phone calls. I just don't understand that it's an all or nothing approach. There should be fair but no tolerance for this type of guest behaviour.

@Jason144

Doubt if anybody here would disagree with you but that is not how it works. Quite what the instructions are that ABB gives the people who decide these things is unknown.

David

I had the exact same experience. I am so dissapointed in airbnb, i wanna quit as a host. I am a student and rented my place out when i went to visit my parents, i dont have the money to hire a cleaning firm. My home is ruined, i feel unhappy all the time at home now and its airbnb and the idiot guests fault. I've made my claim now but its so hard to find out what to do, you cant get in touch with airbnb. I am so dissapointed, I wish they were like uber woth their helpdesk.

Do you have any tips to get the smoke smell out without repainting? 

I am on site so have not had the issue, I have seen people mention using an ioniser, do not know if you could rent one.

Perhaps ABB should have a tie with a rental company for them. We are not going to pay you anything but here is a 10% off coupon?

David

Hahaha. @David126    Or a pen set from Australia! 

Tips on getting smoke smell out:  clean everything with Lysol or Pine-Sol.  Try Febreeze air freshener; open windows. 

A good quality air purifier can help a whole lot. If you can't afford to buy one, makybe you can find a friend who has one that they will loan you.  I'm sorry to hear you had that happen, and it makes me fearful of that happening in my place.

I use a box of baking soda in my fridge and closets to absorb some smells. Maybe it would be worth a try for smoke odors too?

There is also good ole Ozium. Used to be pretty effective back in the day. I use it for my garage after I've had a stogie or a guest has smoked a few cigarettes. Not perfect, but it seems to help a bit.

Get a fresh can of ground coffee and put it next to the intake vent in your home.  This will help.  Good luck.

You are allowed to claim more than your deposit - it must be well documented and justified - and on top of that - you can submit subsequent claims for additional funds - again - it must've well documented and justified.  I have done this with my condo rental in Seoul.

I don't know theother side but boy that is terrible they disrespected your house like that!

Then to be treated that way from resolutions like that.

The fact is that you can not report smoking to Airbnb unless they leave cigarette buts. It's a nasty habit.

I'm avalibale for co-hosting. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Not really a Security Deposit, always think they need to change the name as you do not control it, ABB do and as you have found out it can be difficult to recover from.

I do not know the overall numbers but there are many posts from people who have had a similar experience to yours.

David