Hours guests can be in your house

Sam44
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

Hours guests can be in your house

So, I've had some great experiences with Airbnb and now I have two guests who basically are sitting around either in my kitchen all day, or in my main room all night.  They basically almost never leave the house.  I've asked them to move into their room after I go to bed (the main room is right outside of my bedroom and I cannot close the door because of cats), and they really seemed disgruntled about that.  After all, they can watch t.v. on their computers via my wifi in their room.  Now they are complaining, saying that the internet is causing a "buzzing in their heads and nightmares" and can I turn it off so that the vibrations don't affect them.  I mean. . . Thank goodness the rental is only for four total days, but I really want to find a way to prevent this in the future. 

Has anyone on here adopted a standard B & B policy where you must leave the house between a certain hour and not come back until a certain hour?  Or other ideas?  I don't want to be a jerk, but I work from home and all day today these people were interrupting me while I was on business calls.  I live in a tourist town, full of incredible natural beauty and I cannot understand why anyone would want to sit in my small house basically on top of me instead of going out to see the sights.  Even if that is what someone who comes here wants, it's not at all what I want as a host. 

How would you handle this for future listings? 

18 Replies 18
Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Hi @Sam44

You might try putting something in your description about you working from home, "because I work from home during the day our place is best suited for travelers who plan to be out most of the day"... I would also discuss it with guests before accepting their reservation. Just a friendly back and forth about what they plan to do and what they expect from the space and you can share your expectations and needs as well.

We don't share a space with guests but you'd be surprised how often someone is watching a movie in the middle of a sunny afternoon on their two day stay. You just never know what people plan to do with their time.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will change my listing to include those things.  🙂

Hi Sam

I have had that problem many, many times. The way I got around it (mostly) was to limit my guests to solo business travellers.

I also don't allow them to use the kitchen (which mostly sends people out for food). And I ask them to eat at the kitchen table, to deter bugs (lol) and also to get them out again. I also put the price per night up. The more 'on the cheap' people are, the more they stay in.

I found that backpacker couples on holidays were the worst group - sitting around my house all day, once even leaving the gas stove burning while they snuggled in bed (I found it burning in my kitchen and I hit the roof).

Recently I asked a fairly regular guest 'what was wrong with his bedroom' as he'd taken to setting up his computer and hanging around my kitchen table with food or coffee all day. I told him it was the only space I had to myself apart from my bedroom (implying, I hope, that he only pays for his room)

Hope this helps.

Teri

Sydney Australia

Smart ideas.  Thanks!  Sounds like you've dealt with a lot.  😮

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

No, not good! My listing states my room is suitable for business travellers or short stay tourist, it’s not suited for guest working from home or staying in all day as such if a guest breaks any of these rules and it becomes a problem for me then I can ask them to leave.

In addition I don’t offer to share my living room and no cooking is allowed. I learned very quickly when I had a guest who stayed in all day for most of his 8 day stay ordering take-away. He wanted the heating on all day as well which I refused not at the price I charge, luckily the heating situation was covered already in my house rule and I referred him straight to the rule.

Nice guy actually as a person but the constant presence got to me. I work from home mainly so it was a bit stressful having him there all the time; he actually tried to re book a couple of months later but I refused; you live and learn.....

Ama

Offer home-made aluminum-foil hats to protect them from the wifi vibrations while in the house? At least they would be more amusing that way (if more distracting).

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ahahaha... nice one Miranda, I like it :-)!!!

TOO funny! That's what I've been saying to my friends, actually. 

Oh dear.  So you've been there too.  Thanks for the suggestions. I will use them!  🙂

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

I feel for you - I've had a woman spend upwards of three hours each and every afternoon cooking elaborate meals for her husband, effectively barring me from my own kitchen and using all my pans etc, not to mention filling the house with the smell of burnt grease (she wasn't even a good cook!)  I've had a man 'take care of' his two-year-old son by parking him in front of my TV with cartoons on loud all day while he lounged on my couch playing on his iPad, while his wife conducted research at the university. I've had couples who don't leave their room all weekend, except to run to the bathroom giggling. I've had plenty of people get up at midday and then lounge around eating 'breakfast' until the middle of the afternoon, take three hours to use the shower etc and then go out to party all night and wake me up coming in at 3am. 

Then I changed my listing description, plus the 'house rules' (the automated email they get sent when a booking confirms) AND the Guest Information Pack I leave in the room, to make it clear that I work from home and need peace and quiet in the daytime. You'll have to work out what wording, and what boundaries, work best for your lifestyle - e.g. maybe put in your listing what your working hours are and that you need the house to be quiet at those times - but what I say is that since my work is catering, my kitchen is my 'office' and after breakfast time it is not available to guests. I also make sure to have a conversation with them when they check-in asking them what their plans are for their time and is there information or any recommendations I can help them with - which allows me to also tell them what I'll be doing, e.g. if I am preparing for a delivery deadline or a farmers' market etc and emphasise again that I work from home, need my kitchen to myself, and am expecting them to be out for most of the day, although I don't make any hard and fast rules about when they come and go. that

Most of the time this works, but no matter what you do or say, you will occasionally get self-involved people who don't listen or don't care about you. That's when you have to politely confront them and sat you want them to be comfortable and enjoy their stay but they need to respect your space. If they leave you a nasty review, add a comment about it being such a pity that their expectations didn't line up with the service you provide, and restate firmly what your house rules are.

The thing that helped me get past the awkwardness was when someone pointed out to me that if you set firm boundaries, you can always relax them if you're getting on well with the guest and want to go above-and-beyond for them. If your boundaries are vague at the outset, it's much harder to firm them up once someone has already overstepped them. If you let guests think you're a walkover, you'll tend to get walked on,  but since I 'toughened' up, I have generally had nicer guests 🙂

Good luck!

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow Helen, sounds like you've had your fair share - you're definitely due a break!

Ama

Thank you, Helen! I will take your suggestions on board.  It does sound as if you've seen it all.  😮

Tara23
Level 1
Squamish, Canada

Really interesting to read this thread! We just had our first experience with this, and it made us feel really uneasy and uncomforable in our own home! Cooking really elaborate meals morning, noon and night - and by night I do mean starting at 10pm with no concern for noise or anything - and we weren't restricting them from using it earlier. 

Re-reading the initial messages that were exchanged, they had plans to adventure and explore, but when they got here they hardly left our place. 

Have you found any common "signs" to look out for in order to better screen guests? 

We will take the advice offered as well regarding firming up our rules and establishing more clear boundaries. I think up until now we've been wanting to be welcoming and accommodating, but this past experience has given us a glimpse into what it could be like, and we did not like it at all. 

Thanks! 

Tara,

Well, I, for one, wouldn't have been sitting around inside a house in Squamish! Then again, I live in a place of extreme natural beauty too and those people sat around.  

I took on board what people said and changed a few things: 1) No use of the kitchen other than the microwave and sink. My guests have a small refrigerator in their room and, at traditional B & Bs, no-one gets use of the kitchen, so. . . 2) I basically just added a statement that said that I work from home, so this house is for travelers who don't plan to sit in the house all day. 

Granted, I haven't had any new booking inquiries since I made those changes, but I'd rather skinny down my bookings than ever have another couple like that one.  It also could be that it's slow season here.  We shall see.  

If you come up with any tips that I haven't thought of, please let me know! It was a miserable experience and then they left me a negative review complaining about my "bad feng shui" and the noise of the air-con in their room.  Sigh.