Guests who don't read listing description and don't know what a private room means

Maggie72
Level 3
Waterloo, Canada

Guests who don't read listing description and don't know what a private room means

I've been having several guests recently who booked my private room listing thinking that they are having the place to themselves. I have very clear description under "About the listing" stating that me and my husband live here but they don't seem to read! This really annoys me as some guest realize few days before arrival and ask to cancel the reservation and ask for a refund. Some guest simply never finds out and only realized after they checked in and see us. 

How should I avoid this? Do you guys with private room listings experience this? 

4 Replies 4
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I too have had this annoying problem. Unfortunately it does affect our ratings 😞

I have just started and have been having good luck by educating first time bnb'ers in my booking welcome.

"Is this your first airbnb trip? I'd like to explain what you'll get....

You have access to a SHARED bathroom....."

Make sure your end your welcome with

'Would this be OK?"

Many hosts do not accept airbnb'ers with no reviews, because they have had experience with the clueless guest.

But I like first timers - they have that freshness and adventure. 

However they need a little more education

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Maggie72

Perhaps put private room in your heading - and again in the access bit.  Repeat in description.  Then - in your prebooking message - ask potential guests to read the full lisiting - both host and guest are interested in a good match.  

Anike0
Level 2
Ochtrup, Germany

I'm a new host and also have a private room to rent. Maybe a good way of preventing this could be to send the guest a welcome email after their booking and say: Thanks for booking with me. You booked a private room (with a private bathroom). You will be sharing the kitchen,garden etc with me.... and then give some other details about the neighborhood etc. If I were a guest I would like to receive some information to get excited for the trip (but a long text would make me lose interest to even start reading)

Yes, we just changed our title to start with private room after a slew of bookings where the guests showed up thinking they had booked our whole house. It's infuriating. We also send a message noting that they booked a room in a home and that we will be here. We don't let them cancel. Strict policy. Should have read the listing info. We mention it in their feedback.