Guests unlocked security lock on storage cupboards

Jack90
Level 6
Queensland, AU

Guests unlocked security lock on storage cupboards

Hello,

I host a holiday home here in Gold Coast, Australia. Experience with Airbnb so far has been great. However, recently encountered a guest who unlocked our security locks and took linen and towels from our storage cupboard.

We provided bedding and towels for the 8 people that the guest specified were staying with us in the booking. Found out that they had used all the beds with the extra linen they had taken from our cupboard (bedding for 13). We charge 25$ per person per night for every extra guest after 10. The guest stayed for 5 nights.

I'm not too sure what to do in this situation. Do I ask the guest to pay for the presumed extra people staying? Don't really want to attract false reviews of our property, which has so far been 5 stars all round. Also have heard that Airbnb generally sides with guests. Any advice would be great.

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You don't really have PROOF there were extra guests unless you have a security camera or the guest fesses up.  Without definitive proof, you can't really charge them extra.  You can message the guest and let them know you see they entered your locked cabinet to use additional linens and ask if they had more people stay.  Maybe they'll say yes and then you can go ahead and put through the request for additional funds.

I agree Cynthia, but it is quite hard for me to have actual physical proof of extra guests staying. My best inference would be how many beds are used, as we specifically only make the beds for the right number of people for this purpose.

Maybe extra guests isn't the best approach? It's not a specific house rule that you can't break into our security lock, but I thought it was so obvious it goes without saying. Would it be better to go through breakingi of house rule -> loss of part of security deposit

You will never know  but more likey the dials were not spun, would be really difficult to pick that lock unless you really knew what you were doing.

The security deposit is more theoretical than practical. If you charge on numbers then either you have some way of monitoring it or accept that most people would be honest but some will not.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Just wondering how they got the key?

David

It's one of those number jumble ones, with 1000 combinations. I guess they either guessed it or used some sort of physical pin/needle.

I would mention in the review that they broke into a locked cabinet and would give them a thumbs down.

I like this answer. Unlikely you'll recoup the money, and the possible negative reviews isn't a risk I'd take with complaining. BUT a thumbs down would help out the rest of us with an explanation of why!