Guests asked to upload video

Dev4
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Guests asked to upload video

Dear Hosts!

I had a guest (new Airbnb user) try to book one of my properties. The guest was uncomfortable to put so much information online, as he runs a big business and having so much information on the internet can be detrimental. After some thinking, he completed all the necessary verification steps. Then Airbnb system asked him to upload a video and he just gave up. 

When I was reading online about the "video" piece, I found that Airbnb requests users to upload videos if they do not have a social presence. I agree that it is hard not to have a social presence in today's world; but everyboddy has an active social media presence. I hardly use social media for privacy reasons. 

Ultimately, I had to call Airbnb's customer service (1 hour wait time) and request them to speak to the guest and sort out the matter. The matter was resolved and the guest did not upload a video on Airbnb.

Has anyone hosted guests based on the videos? Do you feel that it is an 'effective" way to screen a guest? 

Looking forward to the comments on this.

Regards,

Casadell

3 Replies 3
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Dev4,

You could have just turned off "verification required" if you had a good feeling about the guest, I've done that before when the process has been too frustrating for guests.

It sounds a bit fishy to me though....someone who runs a big business and doesn't have any kind of online presence, not even a crappy Linked In account?  That's weird.

Hi @Maria-Lurdes0

It's interesting that you mention turning of ID requirement. I made the change and possibly completed everything I could in order for the guest to complete the booking. I did not want to call Airbnb Contact centre as it takes forever......but nothing worked and so I had to make the call. 

Many business owners that started businesses 20-30 years ago do not have a very active LinkedIn account as it was not required then. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Casadell,

I'm sitting on hold right now about that video thing.  What the heck?  I understand the importance of verification but I'm quite sure a video is a deal breaker for some folks.  I'm about to lose the 2nd of 2 potential guests because of the video requirement. 

I'll let you know what happens,

Larry