Guests Don't Read the Listing

James105
Level 2
Bowen Island, Canada

Guests Don't Read the Listing

We host in the garden studio on our property, which is on a small island in a fjord just off Vancouver, Canada.

Our studio is near the top of a steep and winding road uphill from our village where the ferry comes in. For a vehicle, it's a few moments. On foot, it is a 20 minute SLOG. We say this in several places on our listing, but we often find -- and found again, just now -- that people just DO NOT READ the listing.

They skip ahead to the address, plug it into Google Maps, see what looks on the map like a short and easy walk, and decide to hoof it and off they go!

We just had a lovely couple from NYC arrive drenched in sweat, dragging luggage, with heels, clearly somewhat exasperated. They called me from the road for a rescue, but I was on the phone at the time.

I feel bad for them. It's awkward.  

Must I explain about the hill every single time I accept a reservation? It's in the listing. Clear as day. In two or three places.

It took me forever to get to superhost status, and part of the reason is guests ding me on "location." But we can't change the location. Its on a hill. That's why the view is so epic!

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You don't have Instant Book, @James105, which means you can ask each potential guest specifically, "If you are arriving without a car, did you read what a climb it is to get to our house? It's a real slog. We think the amazing view is worth it. Do you?"

You have to hit them over the head like that. You are right. They don't read.  

Short answer: Yes, you must explain about the hill every time. 

Short solution: Make it a saved message. One click. 

This is an excellent idea, and I didn't even know about the saved message functionality. That reduces the PITA factor considerably. Thanks!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James105 What a beautiful cottage and so well presented! James it's a credit to you and you are obviously doing very well with it.

There is always going to be a perceived downside because, you are right, guests do not read the 'fine print'. It's a bit like the warranty conditions on the back of a user guide....they have to be there, but who reads them!

Guests forget too James, you can drill something into them when the reservation request comes in but, they get so wrapped up in other aspects of their holiday that time dims the memory and the focus. With me, the only thing they remember with absolute clarity is, when I send a message on acceptance I finish by telling them, "We are in the habit of having a cheese plate and a wine or two about 5 in the afternoon and you would be welcome to join us"! Many of them totally rearrange their days schedule to take that into account! Even 5 months down the track, they remember that sentence letter for letter!!

I have found James that something outrageous on the morning they arrive galvinises certain points you wish to express and gets around a lot of these issues.

Depending on the guest I quite often use this one....

Crocodiles in the lake 2.png

One woman said they were in a cafe when that message came through and they laughed so much all around them thought they were mad! But they quickly fired back arrival details and, the strategy worked.

Perhaps James you can work on some outrageous element you can build into your welcome message....."The hill is that steep that even the resident Moose tries to avoid it around midday....... so try to plan your arrival with that in mind. The distance is short but on foot it's great cardio"

You know your patch and you have been so creative with the listing I am sure you could come up with something really appropriate.

To the point though, once they have got there, its too late, you must give them a 'heads up' they will notice and it's amazing how it gets the friendship thing rolling....humour is universal, everyone loves it!

Cheers.....Rob

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Include a view from the property looking down to the port below? You have quite a bit of text, photos may work better.

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David126 Yeah @James105 I agree with David...... maybe show some shots in the summer and some in the winter so that guests don't expect Hibiscus and Frangipani blooms poking out through the snow!

There was a post on here some time ago about a guest who complained the listing was not as it was depicted in the photos. The only alteration to the listing as shown in the photos was a different bedspread/quiltcover was in use for that guest.

You can't second guess a guest James....spell it out!

Cheers....Rob