Guested entered home without permission

Allison23
Level 1
Portland, OR

Guested entered home without permission

Hi, Ive guests that are to check in after 5pm this evening.  They stopped by my home and tried the front door, when finding it unlocked by the guests who departed this morning, they felt fine to place their luggage inside.  I feel violated by their entering my home uninvited, unannounced and do not appreciate the lack of courtesy or disregard for common social practices.  They are meant to stay the weekend but I do not feel comfortable with this kind of person in my home - if theyve no regard for my front door, I doubt theyll have much for any other doors.  What is the best way other hosts have found best to resolve such a situation?  Does this even happen to other people??

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Strange that they found the front door open to the property - I would be concered as a guest if doors were randomly left unlocked by hosts during my stay. Having said that it is a bit off - but nothing that I would really consider too much of an issue.

I would be more concerned about the open door.

David
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Allison23 Consider getting a smart lock that will let you know if it's left open or lock itself if the guest forgets to lock it. You can also set the guest's code to only be active after check-in time.

I love the idea of a smart lock! 

Erica14
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Allison,

Yes, I see how you can find it disconcerting, but I agree with the other commenters that you might look at it from there perspective.  They arrived to a house with an open door, that doesn't signal security and may have signalled that you were easy-breezy.  I suggest that you have a friendly and direct conversation with them.  Perhaps something like "I'm glad you arrived okay and that it worked out that you could leave your luggage.  To be honest though, I wasn't expecting you until the check-in time of 5pm because I like to be here to great my guests [or whatever reason is appropriate].  Is there a way I could have better communicated my expectation in the messages we exchanged before your arrival so I can improve the process for future guests?"  I would also suggest to them that in the future if they want to leave bags before check-in time that they ask the host about it when they book.

I personally reiterate the check-in time when I send details a week prior to their arrival.  For me this included that their room will be ready at check-in time and that if they want to leave bags earlier they may leave their luggage in the dining room and use the rest room.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Allison23 I wouldn't be overly concerned myself. They probably knocked first, waited, and then tried the knob. Finding it open (which, to them, would have seemed "welcoming"), they then merely set their luggage inside and left. Again, I don't see that as odd or invasive.

In the future, commuicate pro-actively about what early arrivals can do (drop luggage, come on in, or whatever) and, if it's important to you, take steps to ensure that the door is locked.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Allison23 

Yeah Allison I can understand you feel violated, it is your home but, as you were not there, you don’t know the circumstances! It may be that, after knocking, with no answer they decided to try the door to attract someone’s attention, found it open and took the opportunity to pop their bags inside. After all they would not have regarded themselves as complete strangers to you, From their perspective, they had paid to be there and were expected during that day. Although they took something of a ‘liberty’ doing what they did, I wouldn’t read anything too sinister into their actions Allison.

I would be more concerned as to why the door was unlocked and open to the ‘public’ in the first place!! You are inviting people you don’t know into your house and, like a hotel, you need a door that shuts and locks every time someone passes through it! After all you have far more valuable things in your house than would be found in a standard hotel room!

When you host Allison, your property (to a certain extent) becomes public, and you have to make allowances for that, and having a front door that can’t remain unlocked is one of the trade-offs you will have to make.

If you are doing any reasonable amount of hosting and spend a considerable time away from the property, it may be advisable to put in a ‘smart lock’ so that the door always shuts and locks itself. These locks are not expensive. Or alternatively, in place of the existing lock, just install a key operated standard deadlock! Our cottage requires a key to be inserted to open the door and that works ok. The ‘knob’ is like a large brass wardrobe knob and is simply to pull the door shut and does not perform any security function. This arrangement cost a minimal amount of money to install and guarantees the situation you have just experienced cannot happen!!

Good luck with these guests Allison, I hope they turn out to be a pleasure to host…..just like most guests….cheers…..Rob

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Allison,

I completely agree with you that the behavior is not acceptable. They chose to make an executive decision about your property without your consent. Even if I am a guest invited into someone's home at some point, I would never make the assumption that it would be acceptable to open THEIR door, unlocked or no. It's rude, assuming and beyond entitled behavior. In addressing this with the guests, I would point out that you would prefer that they had contacted you to determine if this might be okay. Also, what if the prior guests had not left and were to find these bags? It would be very irresponsible for them to leave bags unattended that your exiting guests or maintenance person could have access to, leaving you to feel guilty if something was amiss and potentially ruining their vacation. We are inviting people into our homes and are not expected to be acting as a hotel or concierge; that is the beauty of this platform is that it is more personal. You are entitled to leave your doors unlocked at any given time of the day or night and should (ideally) never have to be concerned about people opening your door when they are not expected or invited (at that time). No, that isn't how it works in terms of crime but these are guests that made prior arrangements to arrive later in the day. This is not about a Smartlock. Your issue is about the intrusive and assumptive behavior that should definitely be addressed in the most diplomatic way possible. I would explain it in terms of safety (for you, them and your prior guests that might have arranged with you to stay longer) as well as potential liability issues. I think if it is presented in a way that addresses those issues, they may understand and remember why they should contact their host in advance next time and always.

Yes, I too have experienced this firsthand and completely understand how it makes you feel violated. I wish you the best of luck.